𝟏𝟗. 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞?

𝟏𝟗; 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞?
(𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 5 - 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘢𝘯 𝘦𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘥𝘦)

𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐘𝐍 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐊𝐈𝐒𝐃𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐍 when her mother died and Floki's departure, as well as being a part of a war against her own people, only increased the cracks in her heart

𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐘𝐍 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐊𝐈𝐒𝐃𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐍 when her mother died and Floki's departure, as well as being a part of a war against her own people, only increased the cracks in her heart. However, the organ beating inside her chest was barely affected by the breakup with Hvitserk. Her heart was fine.

It was her ego that was bruised.

It was almost comical. For months, Sigyn was sure in her decision to bind herself to that man forever — to make vows before all the gods —, and now after breaking things off her hurt pride was what bothered her the most. The young woman was angry that he disrespected her but she wasn't sad about their relationship's end. This lack of emotions on her part caused Sigyn to think back about her last conversation with her mother. Helga had warned her daughter about how the girl's relationship with Hvitserk wasn't anything strong. The older woman was so sure of it at the time, but still, Sigyn brushed it off — so determined to make her own foolish choices. Was this the price of attempting to cheat fate? Wasting her time on someone who was never meant to be in the first place?

That night, after storming off on her former lover, Sigyn sat at the docks. A half-empty cup of ale in her hand and the chill winter wind blowing against her face. Was it really worth it to fight so desperately against fate? She wondered. Should she listen to Floki's messages and submit to the gods' will? Was she really still willing to bet all her cards against the will of the gods? There were too many questions.

"You look miserable." Sigyn didn't have to turn around to discover who had interrupted her thoughts, she would never admit it, but she could recognize Ivar's voice in a heartbeat. Still, the shieldmaiden looked behind her only to find the person she already knew was there.

Ivar was briefly taken aback by Sigyn's appearance — not that she looked ugly, it was actually quite the opposite. For once, there were no braids holding the young woman's hair together so its chestnut locks fell freely down her shoulders and every few minutes a stronger hush of wind would blow it against her face. Ah, her face — Ivar had to hold a sigh as his eyes reached her bare face. The familiar charcoal paint she used on her eyes was missing making it so much easier for Ivar to lose himself in the depths of her alluring green eyes. Such beautiful sad green eyes.

Truth be told, Ivar didn't think she looked miserable. If anything she was breathtakingly beautiful no matter what.

"Oh, if it isn't the god Ivar." Sigyn deadpanned breaking him from his trance. "Should I take a bow or something?"

The cripple smirked. "I'll let it slide this once."

"Lucky me." the young woman scoffed, not caring for his attempt to joke. "I can think about several people who didn't get the same chance. The seer for one."