Wattpad Original
There are 58 more free parts

Ch. 4: Liars and Thieves

Penny hurried down the corridor.

Oil paintings and empty vases whirled by. She was dimly aware of Grayson's heavy footsteps, of the smell of spicy cologne and wood polish, but it all felt distant. Sweat beaded the back of her neck. The cold metal compass thumped against her chest like a second heart. Penny took a sharp left, and then swore as she crashed into something solid.

"Easy," Ryne murmured. "Just me."

Her older brother steadied her. He was barefoot and rumpled, his dark hair sticking up in all directions. Anna and Tristan stood beside him. Something radiated from them — something that felt like dipping your hand in acid — and Penny winced.

"What's going on?" Penny asked.

"Bugger if I know," Ryne muttered.

He let go of her shoulders. They fell into step, starting down the stairs towards the entrance hall. Grayson's sword slapped against his thigh with each step.

"Did Isaac tell you to come?" Grayson asked.

Ryne shook his head. "Camille."

"Whatever it is," Tristan said, his mouth flat, "it doesn't sound good."

"Don't say that." Anna bounded ahead, her dark ponytail bouncing. "It could be a dangerous six-headed beast that we have to vanquish."

"As I said," Tristan sighed, "it doesn't sound good."

Anna raised an eyebrow. "What if it had seven heads?"

"Worse," Tristan said, looking slightly green. "That would be so much worse."

They paused in an alcove outside the entrance hall. Sunlight glinted off the chandelier, throwing white sparks across the marble pillars; a dusty piano and a half-wilted plant were the only decoration. Camille sat on the piano bench, and Isaac leaned over top of her, their heads bent close together. Isaac looked up as they approached. "Oh, good. You're here." He nodded. "Put your sword away, Cidarius."

Anna's grip tightened on the weapon. "Why?"

"Just do it," Isaac said.

"You know," Anna said conversationally, "I once had a vendor at Grim's Market tell me that when I was thinking about buying a mystery sandwich. Just do it." She shrugged. "Turns out it was dragon balls."

Tristan raised an eyebrow. "I thought it was illegal to sell those."

"It damn well should be," Anna said. "That sandwich was disgusting."

Isaac crossed his arms. "I mean it. All weapons away."

"What's going on?" Ryne asked.

Isaac's mouth tightened. "Just do it. You'll make them nervous."

"Them?" Anna echoed.

Her eyes shot to the double doors. Penny closed her eyes. She could sense a faint buzz emanating from the next room. So many emotions, she thought, all tangled up together like a ball of yarn at the bottom of a drawer.

"It might be better..." Camille hesitated. "I should stay here."

Isaac shook his head. "You're coming with."

"Isaac," Camille said.

Her voice was soft. She put a hand on his arm, and there was something so tender about her feelings — something soft as a velvet blanket — that Penny felt suddenly embarrassed to be in the same room.

Isaac held out a hand. "Come on."

His voice was firm. Camille didn't move. "I don't want to upset anyone."