OC x Aegon Targaryen (HotD)

A/N: Hello everyone! This was a very random idea that burst out over the past several weeks, so enjoy. The following 2 chapters (all in this same page) are part of an untitled short story with a House of the Dragon OC paired with Aegon Targaryen. You can expect the usual Game of Thrones themes to be referenced or written explicitly, including but not limited to: abuse, miscarriage, traumatic childbirth, underage marriage, violence, incest, etc. I am basing this off of Season 1 of House of the Dragon. Additionally, Aegon is not going to be a piece of shit who assaults people! That would be horrible. For reference, the OC's face claim is Meltem Akçöl.

-

CHAPTER ONE

King's Landing, 124 AC

Another brother.

Being surrounded by boys was starting to drive her mad. How she missed her cousins.

She shouldn't have been upset. She didn't need to be. He wasn't her brother, not really, and if she'd had a sister, it wouldn't have been her true sister, either.

The man who was telling her this news, the man she called 'Papa Laenor,' was her cousin, not her father. The woman who had borne the babe, the woman she called 'Mama Nyra,' was a more distant cousin, made nearer only by the marriage her mother had had with another cousin that might have been her father, had the wedding between Daemon Targaryen and Rhea Royce been fruitful in any way. And the girl cousins she adored were the daughters of Daemon and Mama Laena, both her cousins, which meant Baela and Rhaena weren't cousins as directly as she wanted to believe.

This family confused her.

Her brothers were overjoyed at the news. They liked each other, liked being brothers. This was something pleasant for them, it meant another boy to roll in the dirt with.

She was much happier in the castle with Helaena, even if it meant she had to endure the sensation of small feet crawling on her palm. She'd yet to grow fond of bugs, though she calculated that it wouldn't be long before she became indifferent.

Brothers were in abundance within the Red Keep. There was Aemond, who was only a brother because he claimed she was the sibling Helaena dreamed of having. Daeron would tell the people of Oldtown he had two sisters. Then came Rhaenyra and Laenor's sons; three boys had become four. How was she meant to survive?

Maybe it would have been wiser to move to Pentos. If only she'd known that when she chose Rhaenyra over Laena.

"Rhaelyn, have you heard what I said?"

She glanced up at Laenor, hugging the dragon's egg in her palms to her chest. "A boy," she confirmed. "Mama Nyra had a boy."

"Yes," he said, beaming. "Would you like to see him?"

The two lads beside her leapt up. "Yes!" cried Jacaerys. "The egg is ready, just for the baby!"

She thought of the singular egg she'd been keeping for the child, with the intention of bestowing it personally upon who she imagined would be a sister, out of respect for Rhaenyra's wishes. Rhaelyn didn't want to share but if it would please the Princess, she'd do anything. It couldn't only be her egg.

"Yes," she decided. "I suppose this one will have to do."

(She hoped her dragon would lay another if Rhaenyra grew pregnant again. It seemed to happen often for the Princess. With the dragon, less frequently. This was the first egg she'd laid. Would there be more?)

She couldn't quite remember the day she became Rhaenyra's first child. She had memories of sounds and shapes, colors she saw for the first time when Daemon Targaryen walked in unannounced to the wedding of Rhaenyra Targaryen and Laenor Velaryon.