The Land Prince

It was a long swim from the bank to the docks, Nereida having to cross several different streams, shores, and other bodies of water. But she didn't dare go on land. Not now, when she didn't quite know what Vidarr wanted. And besides, water was always faster.

She poked her head out. The sky above was dark, but Nereida was used to the dark, as most depths were shadowed long before the surface. Her eyes had long since adjusted.

"You're early." A voice called. Her eyes snapped to the pier, where a lone figure stood.

She swam over, "I could say the same."

The prince was tall for a human, but he sat on the edge of the dock with his legs dangling over the side. He was about her age (because believe it or not, Nereida was actually very young, only seventeen), and had dark hair that someone must've told him looked roguishly handsome, all messed up the way it was.

She put her arms on the rough wood, keen eyes peering up at him in the dark. "What do you want?"

"Now, princess, whatever happened to a simple hello? I must say, your manners used to be well renowned!"

Nereida shifted in annoyance. "You and I both know we are long past formalities.:

They quieted, both looking over the water. "What do you want, Vidarr? Naiades are going missing, there's talk of your kingdom's ships crossing from the Northern Isles- what are you planning? Why did you call me here?"

He finally met her gaze. "Can't a friend meet with a friend without rhyme or reason?" he asked, and she wanted to believe it, however false the lie may be.

"We aren't friends." She told him quietly.

"We used to be." And though playful should hear the pain underlying the statement, could feel it.

"We were young," she reminded him, "And I was foolish. And you!" she pointed at him, jabbing a finger at his dark figure. "You went too far. Now," she went on, "I will not ask you again. What do you want, Vidarr? Where are my people?"

The prince didn't answer. At least, not at first. "The South's forces are rising again, did you know about that?" He asked, as though commenting about the weather.

Nereida didn't know that. The South he spoke of was a landlocked country, only accessible through the course of many rivers and streams. But she did not say anything, and Vidarr went on. "My country cannot survive another war. We are low on resources, on population and men that can refill the army. If the South attacks..." he trailed, mask falling away to reveal a desperate young man.

And desperate men are dangerous things.

He turned to her. "I asked you once, long ago, for something of great significance," he started.

Nereida jerked away as if stung. "And I refused you, as I do now!" she exclaimed heatedly. "The Aurelian Ring is not for human hands! You'll abuse its power," she started to back away, "Just like you abuse everything else." She shook her head, turning away. "Die in the war, for all I care, but release my people before I kill you first. You have three days."

But just as she was about to duck underwater, she felt herself being pulled suddenly onto the docks.

Her hands were twisted painfully behind her back. "Wrong answer," he hissed in her ear. Something slammed against her head, and the entire world went dark.