The Message

Not long after the three departed, agreeing to meet again soon to solidify their plans. But Nereida stayed where she was, legs moving absentmindedly through the water. A lot of land folk confused mermaids and sirens with the Naiades, but while there were many reasons why they were wrong, the main reason was that they had legs. They could walk on land and practically pose as ordinary (if not devastatingly beautiful) humans if it weren't for their pointed ears and too keen eyes.

That said, it wasn't long before the princess poked her head above the surface. The air buzzed with the strange noise of insects and all around her the forest was in lively shades of the green of summer.

It was then when she spotted the falcon.

A peregrine falcon, to be exact. And it seemed every bit as regal as she was. She inclined her head, "Hello."

The falcon bobbed, moving its head as though trying to get a good look at her. "Hello," it finally replied back.

You see, dear reader, it should be no surprise that animals could talk. No, Naiades have always been able to understand them. It is the humans who have overtime chosen not to listen.

"You have something there," Nereida pointed, "On your neck- do you need help?"

The falcon bristled, "A bird such as I shall never need help!" It sniffed, but peered at her again. "It is, however, for you, if you would be so kind as to unfasten the clasp."

"Of course." Nereida stepped out of the water, climbing up the bank. Whether the response was to recover the bird's dignity or to appease it as she messed with the knot, it seemed to calm the falcon down.

"There," the little pouch that had been tied around the neck fell into her hands. And with that the bird took off, not even having the courtesy to say goodbye.

Nereida examined the little pouch, tipping it over to reveal a tiny note written inside. It had no signature, but she didn't need one to know who it was from.

Meet me by the docks at midnight. Don't be late. 

"Midnight," she mused, checking the day for the time. If she left now she could have a little time to scout the place out, see what he was really planning- for this was no doubt the land prince, Vidarr.

She thought of her two friends and their meeting. "Get a message to Loch of the North and Sabina Darkfin," she stopped a passing fish, "Tell them I'm heading to the docks, that I'm going to meet Vidarr. Tell them to follow and we can discuss afterward."

The fish bobbed once in the water, fins flapping excitedly. "Yes, your highness!" And he swam off.

Nereida turned in the opposite direction, so she didn't see the peregrine falcon, the same one from earlier, dive and snatch the fish up in their talons. She didn't see it fly off with it, nor hear the fish's cries or gasps for breath. No, when Nereida glanced behind her, the fish was already gone.