Chapter 17

PRESENT

I woke up to know that I got my period. My intuition told me that this day was
going to be an awful one for me. I groan loudly and head straight to the bathroom. After freshening up, I come out with a towel wrapped around me and sit on the bed. “Ugh the cramps are killing me.” I hold my stomach and lower my head.

I kept sitting in that position for a few moments. Thank God, it’s Sunday. I pull myself up and put on my clothes. It’s been 6 months since that closet incident. I was filled with guilt; I couldn’t even sleep that night. I decided to apologize to him, why not, I was at fault after all.

Rey, as usual, said that he was alright, but I knew it was not easy for him. I had forgotten that he had his own problems, his life did not only revolve around me.

But what I didn’t know was that he could become so heartless in the meantime. We don’t talk to each other so often. There are still many misunderstandings between us, but none is clearing them. Why? I don’t know.

In the past, it was difficult for me to overcome my feelings. Sometimes, I was so frustrated that I used to cry my eyes out and didn’t tell anyone. Whenever I thought that Rey’s chapter was closed, a new problem knocked in my life.

Now, I don’t feel the same for him as I used to feel earlier, or do I? After about an hour, I went downstairs. I hurriedly went down the stairs, and when I was about to reach, my right leg got stuck in my pajamas.

I tripped two stairs and rolled down 3-4 stairs. I hurt my forehead, right cheek, right arm and both knees. “Mom!” I screamed in pain. I wanted to cry so badly. For a moment I couldn't understand what happened to me. My mom came running and saw me laying down on the floor. She ran towards me, “Rose! What happened?!”

She helped me to sit up. “What happened, Rose? How did you fall?” she asked but I didn’t answer. She took me to the couch and made me sit. My mom checked for the bruises. Then we noticed that my knees were bleeding. I lifted my pajamas up and saw my legs were bruised.

I then checked my right arm, and it had bruises. My mom kept asking me, but I kept my mouth closed, because I knew I would cry if I spoke, and I didn’t want to shed tears. “I’ll bring the first aid.” and she hurriedly left. I felt a pang on the left side of my head. I moaned in pain and held my head. The pain was unbearable. My vision got blurry because of the tears. ‘No, I don’t want to cry.’

At this moment, in this anguish, all I could think about was Rey. All I could
think of was how heartless he had become. I am an idiot, isn’t it?

A few weeks ago, I had met with a minor accident. I remember telling him about it and all I received was a blunt ‘Oh’ and that confused yet angered me. I mean, did I really expect him to react as he used to earlier? That was when I stopped talking to him. I smirked, ‘He’s not the same Rey, Rosabella. Get this shit inside your head as soon as possible.’ I thought to myself.

My mom came back with first aid. She
first gave me a painkiller and started cleaning the wounds. After she was done, she went away. “Rey Thompson, you heartless brat, I hate you.”

I spent the whole day in anguish, first the period cramps, and now these bruises. How worse could this day get? I lay on my bed, looking at the ceiling. I sighed, “Why so much pain God?” I turned to my right and looked outside the window, ‘Such lovely weather. I want to go for a walk, but I'm tired.’ The winds blew gently.

My room’s door opened, and my dad entered. He came near me and sat on the edge of the bed. “How are you feeling, Rose.” he asked, stroking my hair. “Couldn’t be worse.” “How did you fall?” “My legs got stuck in my pajamas, and I tripped.” “Oh.” He kept stroking my hair and I closed my eyes.

“Don’t want to have dinner?” “No dad, not in the mood to get up from the bed.” I spoke weakly. “I’ll bring the food in your room, but don’t sleep without eating anything.” I nodded.

He got up and left and soon came with the dinner. I sat on the bed and thanked
him. After a few minutes, my mom entered. “Mint chocolate ice cream for
dessert. Who wants it?” She spoke with three cups in her hand. A slight smile
appeared on my lips. Ice cream’s my cure. “But why three cups? You and dad
don’t like the flavor?”

“Yeah, it’s nothing in front of my butterscotch ice cream, but we thought of giving it another try.” “Correct, darling.” my dad said. I chuckled at how they are trying to lift my mood up. My mom sat on my other side and handed us the ice cream. “Thank you, guys. I love you both.” I hugged them.

We started digging in our ice cream. We talked and laughed, I felt much better than before. I looked at my mother and father fondly and smiled. ‘They are my people, who make me happy, who are my dear constants.’ I wanted to cry, seriously the mood swings were taking a toll over me.

After chit-chatting, they wished me the night and left. I again lay on my bed and wrapped myself with a duvet. ‘Good night, Rosabella.’ I thought to myself and slept.

Next morning, I woke to my alarm buzzing. ‘I don’t want to attend today’s
lecture.’ I decided not to go to the college and again slept. After a few hours, I again woke up and sat on my bed. I stretched myself and felt a pain in my right arm. I moaned in pain and held my arm. “When will it heal?”

I pouted and stood up to make my way to the bathroom. I freshened up, got ready and went downstairs. “Good morning, honey.” “Morning, mom.” I sat at the dining table. “Dad left?” “Yeah.” My mom came with a plate and kept it in front of me. I started eating. “By the way Rose, this one thing has been on my mind lately.” “What is it?” “What happened between you and Rey?” I stopped eating.

I looked at her, “Nothing, everything’s fine.” “Shut up! He doesn’t come to our house anymore, you don’t go out with him anymore, do you both even talk to each other?” I looked down and sighed,

“Mom, everything’s fine. It's just that he has a busy schedule.” A complete lie. “You think you can fool me? Busy schedule, huh. You both aren’t on good terms, isn’t it? What happened dear? I've been seeing from the past few days that you are not doing well, what’s the matter?” she questioned, concerned.

“Mom, things don’t always stay the same every time. Time changes and so do people. We can't expect them not to, right? ” I didn’t want to tell her anything, not now. “Fine.” She stood up and went inside the kitchen. “I’m sorry, mom.” I whispered to myself and continued eating.

I sat on the couch and received a call from Ashley, “Rose, why didn’t you come to college today?” I explained everything to her and she got worried. “Are you okay now?” “Hmm, better. By the way, mom asked me about how things have been going between Rey and me, but I didn’t tell her anything. I don’t want to tell her anything right now.”

“That’s alright, say it whenever you feel like saying. Ok now I'll have to go, time for the boring lecture. Bye.” “Bye.” I chuckled and hung up.

Oh poor Rosabella.