The Council

Not every tower is a symbol of hope and safety. In fact, most of them are not.

But that comes into effect later, I'm afraid. Our story starts on the foggy shore of a river bank. Or, rather, underneath it.

They had been aware that something had been going on above the surface for days now, but they couldn't quite figure out to what extent. And so they gathered, three water nymphs of varying class or status, to discuss.

The first came forward as though appearing out of the light shining beneath the water. Her hair was long, red, and unbound. Her clothing flowing behind her as though part of the great water itself. Perhaps it was. She was called Loch, and was a being of great power in the waters in the North.

The second also materialized out of seemingly nowhere, though this time out of the shadows of the lower bank. Unlike Loch, her hair was as black as midnight, yet her skin seemed to shine and was almost translucent. Her name was Sabina, notorious in even the smallest of waters.

But the third nymph did not appear neither from light nor dark. In fact, she did not appear from anything at all, for she was already there, stepping out, just waiting to be noticed.

Though the other two were no doubt young and beautiful, as all nymphs are, there was something about this one that set her apart. Maybe it was her eyes, already glittering with mischief. Or her essence that radiated like a charged current. Or, perhaps, it was the small silver circlet that rested right above her brow. A symbol of power. You see, this nymph was called Nereida, princess and heir of the Naiades.

The other two bowed, delicate, polite, and playful. "Princess," Loch smiled. "Several vessels have crossed my territory of late. All heading from the Northern Isles east to the mainland." She reported, her expression growing grim. "These are not just ordinary ships. They fly the king's personal flag."

"What could possibly be such a matter of great importance?" Sabina mused, fingering a piece of her hair.

"It could be a war, though after the recent one ending only a few years ago they are hardly in any condition to begin another." Loch answered.

"But why would this concern us?" Sabina tried, brows pressed together.

"Because," Nereida, who had been quiet up until now, spoke. Voice, though quiet and soft, was every bit as regal as the rest of her. "Naiades have been disappearing. The fish say there is no trace of them in the waters."

"Are you saying that-" Loch started, but stopped, eyes wide. "But the land king can't be that foolish."

"The land king has no idea that it's happening." Nereida answered bitterly. "He's too old, too tired after the war. No," she shook her head, "This is his son's doing."

"The herons say he has been gone for many months now." Sabina offered, shadows growing.

"The herons also have land loyalties," Loch said. "If he harnessed their alliance, what does that mean for us?"

Absentmindedly, Nereida looked up toward the surface, so close she only had to reach up and touch it. "It means," she said slowly, "He wants our attention. We must tread this very carefully, sisters." She looked them each in the eye. "But understand this, his actions will not go unpunished."