Chapter Thirty Nine

Derek was starting to get frustrated.

These caves would be filling with seawater in a matter of hours, yet the path continued to lead them lower and lower. Alejandro paused in front of Derek and swung the torch behind him. Then Derek heard the noise. Rocks crunching beneath booted feet. Three sets of them, if he was correct.

"These are the dungeons. I want you men to feel free to bring any of the slaves down here. Sound carries through the caverns quite nicely, but the household will not hear even the most blood curdling screams." A man's voice carried to them, his English accent unmistakable.

"This is an.. um.. intricate set up you have here." Was that Admiral Miser's voice? Derek could not be sure as he had only spoken to the man the once when Arianna had 'drowned.'

"Yes, well, ten years is quite enough time to establish intricacies."

Alejandro propped the torch against the wall and began to creep around the next corner. Derek followed. They crept under a rock that hung out into the pathway and found themselves on a ledge in a large, lantern lit cavern. Long chains hung from the ceiling to end in shackles about six feet above the cavern floor. There were more chains attached to the walls. Directly below their ledge was a pit where Derek assumed the tide would flow back out of.

"What exactly is it you do down here, your lordship?" The third man asked with an American accent, bringing Derek's attention to the three men who stood at the entrance of another exit to the cavern. 'Twas definitely the Admiral he had heard, as he stood below, next to a American man and.. no.. it could not be. His lordship was Marcus Bailey?
Derek saw red and began scouting the rocks near him for a way down to the cavern floor, but Alejandro's hand on his arm stopped him from making any move.

"We get the lady to safety first. We can always come back for him." Alejandro whispered in his friend's ear, remembering Bailey's warning that sound travelled in the caverns.

"This is where my slaves are punished, Mr. Bell." Bailey spoke in an exasperated tone.

"Is this what you meant when you said there are ways to tame a shrew?" Mr. Bell asked.

The hairs on the back of Derek's neck stood on end, as he imagined Arianna held captive by the chains and left to Bailey's hand.

It would not happen, Derek swore to himself. If it was necessary for him to give his own life to save Arianna from that fate, he would.

"Nay, Mr. Bell, 'twas not. One does not treat a lady like a slave."

But how would he treat her?

"Come, let us get you back to your rooms so that you may enjoy your evenings entertainment." Bailey turned, leading the men back up the path they had entered through.

Alejandro tapped Derek's shoulder to get his attention, lifting the rope in his hands before his captain. Derek nodded and Alejandro began to lower the rope from the ledge. The rope was tied around a boulder in a fashion that would hold their weight, but could easily be shaken loose from the bottom. Derek took the rope in hand and slowly walked down the rock wall. Alejandro was a few paces behind. The pit below them was long, but not so wide that they could not reach the cavern floor. They quietly padded across the rock floor of the cavern, towards the tunnel that the men had retreated through. Derek paused at the opening of the tunnel listening, indistinct voices could still be heard, but the distance was too great to hear the men's footfalls.

Derek made eye contact with Alejandro and they quickly sprinted up the path. Unfortunately, around the second bend, the path split two ways. Derek walked ten feet down one path, Alejandro did the same in the other, but no sounds could be heard anymore.

They turned back, retracing their steps, and entered the lit cavern once more.
Alejandro moved towards the chains that hung from the ceiling and shook one. "So, my friend," The Spaniard turned to his captain, "You have finally found Bailey. Is saving Lady Kent still your priority?"

*****

Carmelita leaned back against the door and took a few deep breaths. She had just left her ladyship's chambers. She knew that with his lordship's request for her to see to the American's 'comforts', that she would not be able to meet with her later that evening. And it had been a good thing that she had.

Her ladyship had began to weep when Carmelita had informed her that Lady Kent was the reason for all of the recent turmoil in the house.

"Arianna is here?" She had cried, needing to hear the confirmation of the lady's Christian name.

"Aye." Carmelita had replied.

Her ladyship had lifted her face, her eyes glistening with unshed tears and her lips twitching with the restraint she was obviously exercising. "Tell me, what does she look like."

"She is stunning, my lady. Her hair is as dark as yours, it hangs past her waist in curls. Her figure is trim, her smile is kind."

A smile had touched her ladyship's quivering lips. "When it is safe, bring her to me. But be careful, he will not want her anywhere near me."

"Yes, my lady." Carmelita had answered, before her ladyship had given into her soul shattering sobs.

Carmelita had then gone in search of Arianna, finding her in the hall and bringing her to her rooms.

Carmelita lifted her eyes to the young lady who stood before her. Arianna's eyes widened as she recognized Carmelita's features.

"I know you!" Arianna said incredulously. Carmelita's face registered her confusion.

"Well, not personally. I have seen your portrait before. What is your full name?"

Carmelita was still confused and she shook her head at Arianna. Her mouth fell open, but no more than a huff passed her lips, as she did not know where the question had come from. How could this girl know her? No one had known her in the last ten years, save Roman.

"Do you have a son?" Carmelita's eyes snapped back to Arianna's. How would the girl know that?

"Please, tell me your name. I know 'tis not Cammie."

"Carmelita."

Arianna hopped in place, excitement shining in her eyes. "Yes! That is it. Carmelita and Ro... um..."A puzzled frown drew her brows together as she searched Carmelita's eyes for a clue.

"Roman? How do you know of my son, lady?" Carmelita asked.

"I know your husband."

Carmelita simply stared at her a moment. "You are cruel to jest, child. My husband died ten years ago. My son and I were sold as slaves." The last sentence was said with a sneer.

"The name Alejandro means nothing to you then?"

Carmelita's eyes widened at her long lost husband's name. How else would this girl know this unless...

"My husband is alive?"