Chapter 5

"Reyna!! Alice!"

Kenneth and Maria, alongside their respective partners, are already sitting at a table when Alice and I arrive. They've managed to get a quiet table at the back, and they wave us over. It's a really nicely decorated bar, with shiny leather bar stools and plush sofas dotted about the room. With tables at a variety of heights, there's a nice casual atmosphere that's accentuated by the live guitarist on stage. Weaving our way through the crowds in the bar, I'm surprised at how busy this place is for a random Wednesday night. My dress shimmers as I move, and I notice a couple of heads turn my way. The material has a way of clinging to my skin, and I'm aware that it accentuates all my curves beautifully. I try not to pay attention to the glances, though my nose flares discreetly, assessing whether there are any wolves in the vicinity.

A pretty blonde at the bar catches my eye as I attempt to avoid the glances of a particularly riotous table of what can only be described as 'lads'. She sends me a radiant smile that makes my heart do a little flutter, and I respond nervously with a friendly smile of my own, before returning to my assessment of the room.

By the time I'm at the table, Aida, my wolf, is finally certain that the bar is werewolf-free, allowing me to relax slightly as I slide one of the empty bar stools at the high table my colleagues have chosen.

"You want a drink?" I have to raise my voice slightly so that Alice's human ears can hear my words through the din in the room.

"Nah!" She raises her eyebrows in the direction of the bar and I turn to follow her gaze, taking in the nerdy-looking man...

Man is a strong word... Baby boy? I chuckle at Aida's cynicism

A nerdy-looking boy is walking towards us from the bar, three drinks precariously clutched in his hands. His thick-framed, square glasses are slipping down his nose as his head remains bent, attention entirely focused on not spilling the liquid that is currently attempting to careen over the side of the glass. His hair is slightly curly, and messily tousled, as if he's been running his hands through it repeatedly. He's wearing a simple outfit of jeans and a shirt, although the shirt hangs off his lean body. His face splits into a wide, crooked smile as he raises his head for a fraction of a second, spotting Alice. Then his gaze sweeps over to me and his eyes widen, head immediately dipping down, but not quickly enough to rescue the small spill that splashes onto the floor.

I see his Adam's apple bob as he swallows harshly, although in the darkness of the room I doubt anyone else noticed. He quickly shuffles over the table, his body posture suggesting that he is unsure of himself, yet to his credit, he plasters the smile back onto his face as he sets the drinks down on the table.

"Drinks for the beautiful ladies!" He visibly flushes in embarrassment at that very cringy statement and even though Aida bursts out laughing, I decide to spare him any further awkwardness and hide my own laugh. I smile up at him, and motion at the spare chair next to me.

"And the third drink for you, hopefully?"

I'm rewarded with a wide beam, and a discreet nudge from Alice reminding me of my half-hearted promise not to stomp on her friend's heart.

"You must be Reyna." He folds his lanky body onto the stool and turns to me. I take a sip of the proffered drink. It's a Mojito, and it's delicious. The boy has good taste, I have to give him that.

Even seated, he's about half a foot taller than me so I have to look up slightly to be able to see his face.

"Mm-hmm. And you must be Chris? I've heard so much about you!"

Conversation with Chris is surprisingly easy. I'm surprised that despite his initial awkwardness he's actually very easy to get along with, and the banter flows easily between us. I'm careful not to lead him on though, I avoid giving him too much attention or flirting too much, splitting my focus evenly between him and Alice. I haven't actually spoken to Alice in what feels like forever, and it's lovely to be able to catch up with her. Plus Chris really isn't my type, so although I enjoy the conversation, I'm really not interested. Not that he isn't cute. He is, in a geeky, school-boy way. And although I've found myself to be attracted to a number of people, train boy for instance, I usually only go for the large, muscular Alpha types with powerful auras who dominate me in bed - The Wattpad bad boys. Plus, he's human, and once you've had sex with a werewolf, there's no going back...