Chapter One

Chapter 1: Lavender

"I hate my name." I said in an annoyed tone of voice.

Mommy sat on the air to be in the same level as me. "Bakit? Maganda kaya yung name mo! I'm the one who created it! "

"My classmates laughed at me yesterday. Because you named me after a flower. They said it was lame. " I crossed my arms and pouted.

"You don't like that?" She asked. She stood up and carried me. "Do you see that purple flower over there?" She asked, pointing the pretty purple flower from afar.

"Yes? "

"What do you think? Is it pretty?" She asked.

"...yes, it's kind of different from all of the flowers I have seen." I answered.

"Why do you think so?" She asked.

"It looks like a stick. Unlike the other flowers mommy wherein their petals are around on that circle thingy."

"Do you know what that flower is called?" She asked. I shook my head.

"That's a lavender."

"It's pretty isn't?"

"You named me after a pretty flower?" I asked I asked in a delightful tone of voice. She smiled at me.

"See? I told you, your name is pretty." She chuckled. "I named you after it, because it defines you."

I'm confused. Defines me? Hindi naman ako word para idefine?

She gently clipped a strand of my hair on my ear and said. "Your existance placed my heart at ease. Like what a Lavender always does."

"You're not mad because you hate your name. You're mad because they are laughing at you."

I sighed. "Which is not good. You should not live upon what people thinks about you."

"I named you Lavender because it's my favorite flower."

"The scent of the lavender calms people."

"Which is one of the reason why I named you after it."

"Your presence calms me. Well not only me, most of the people around you find your presence soothing."

Those are the last things my mother told me. Growing up, I came up with this question.

If a lavender lost its scent, who will take it back for them?

Who will take the scent back for me?

***

"Hoy! Lavender may group project tayo! Mamaya sa bahay ni Aya ha! Baka hindi ka na naman pupunta!" Said my classmate before he ran away.

"Project? May project?" I whispered to myself.

I am not very mindful about my assignments and projects. I literally don't even care about them. But if we are talking about clothes and make up, well that's a different story!

"Vee!!" My friend Gwen called me, the only girl in this school that I love.

"Oh my god! What took you so long! Kanina pa'ko naghihintay sa'yo!" I complained looking at my wrist watch.

"Sorry! Nag overtime yung last subject namin eh!" She said.

"How annoying!" I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah! For real!" She agreed.

"By the way, your lipstick is slaying!!" She said. "It does?" I asked.

"I really don't like the color though, like a hundred percent. Only eighty percent." I said