"I was adored once too,"

Chapter Fifteen

        "I was adored once too,"

-Twelfth Night Act 2 Scene 3

I WALK INTO THE COUNCIL chamber, with a confident gait and a charming smile

I WALK INTO THE COUNCIL chamber, with a confident gait and a charming smile. No one would have guessed the panic happening within me, the sweaty discomfort. The Ethbanian messenger bows as I passed by him, his floppy red and black hat bends in mock respect.

The council door creaks open once more and this time, Giovanni strides in, composed and in control as always. He strides by me without sparing me a glance.

"Perdono mia zia. I was engaged." He bows before his aunt and respectfully kisses her ring. "I apologize that I did not answer you sooner. I - I was distracted."

The jab did not go unnoticed by me. That is what I am to him. A distraction.

My breathing stills, as does the erratic pounding in my chest, for he had simply dismissed what had occurred between us as nothing. It is enough to have me choke on my wine. I cough out uncontrollably as though I had been drowning, tears sting my eyes. Through it all Giovanni stands unconcerned, satisfied with my reaction.

Pompous Florentian donkey.

Queen Meridian, although insane, is not stupid. She spares her nephew a curious glance. Once I have composed myself she smiles, a wide knowing smile that leaves me glaring at my dress. Before the Mad Queen blurts something that would make both Giovanni and I run away with embarrassment I ask:

"What is this news, my queen? I am dying with anticipation."

It doesn't take much to distract the Queen for she has the attention span of a chicken and at my question her outrageous gaze lands upon the Ethbanian messenger.

She claps her hands with the enthusiasm of a child in a sweets shop. "Yes! Yes! Tell us messenger! Do hurry up now. I am not known for my patience."

The Ethbanian bows lavishly, his hat flops back as he rights himself. He twirls around to face the rest of courtiers in the room and announces:

"It is my greatest honor and pleasure to invite all within the Florentian court to the kingdom of Ethban. The house of De Vega has invited all to a lavish ball."

I am surprised, for that is not what I was expecting.

"A ball?" De Luca vocalizes my suspicions. "Why?"

The messenger smiles. "In honor of the fortune teller, senor! Senorita Valentina has heard all about her and would like to meet the illustrious Petra de Shazastar!'

I am shocked into silence. But it is Giovanni's reaction that puzzles me more. He stands more tensely and I watch him grasp his saber.

"You can return to your mistress and tell her if she wants to meet the illustrious fortune teller then she can come and visit her here." Giovanni's tone is stern and rings out like a swift blade. I, along with everyone in the hall, stand in full attention. Why is he acting thus? True, the man does not care for any sort of enjoyment of happiness, but his reaction is farfetched and almost seems personal?