Prologue

Briar wasn't a girl who had much, but she had her family

Briar wasn't a girl who had much, but she had her family. It wasn't your conventional family either. Probably because the only real family she had was her brother Jacob and her father Billy.

Briar was a bastard child because when Billy and his wife Sarah had a falling out they got separated and Billy slept with a beautiful black woman by the name of Serena. Nine months later she was born.

Sadly her mother had died during child birth but luckily when Billy and Sarah got back together she treated the girl as her own.

Then they had her younger brother Jacob and all was well in the Black household. But that didn't last long because she died too. Sarah was in a tragic accident and died due to her severe injuries.

Growing up Briar felt different from her sibling and was judged by the people on the reservation because she didn't look like them. She's always been a beautiful child but she was black.

It wasn't a prejudice thing she just looked out of place in the family because she didn't look like any of her siblings or her parents. Her two older sisters didn't see her as there sister so they kept there distance until they moved away for college.

But her and Jacob were thick as thieves and even though he was younger he always promised to protect her. So for a while it was just her dad and brother in her life.

But that changed because Briar didn't see family as just blood. To her family was something that was created when two people had a strong connection and deeply cared about one another and she was proud to say that her family was huge.

She cared and lived for so many other people. In her head they would be family forever. But oh how wrong she was. Slowly but surely one by one they all left her behind even her brother Jacob.

Her father was no better, he was harboring secrets from her and pushing her away. She was all alone until she found true happiness again in a place she never thought she would and with people she never imagined herself caring about.

 She was all alone until she found true happiness again in a place she never thought she would and with people she never imagined herself caring about