⸺ 𝐓𝐖𝐎

make sure yall vote !

ken

i woke up to the sound of my alarm blaring in my ears.. I groaned, slapping the the "stop" button on my phone screen aggressively. I rub my eyes and let out a soft whine, not wanting to get up. i wasn't a morning person, i hated getting up at 7am, six days a week. I sigh, sitting up and swinging my legs over the edge of my bed. I pushed myself up onto my feet and walked to the bathroom. I stared at my reflection in the mirror, tracing my finger against the eye bags that had formed. damn, i really gotta start getting more sleep.

I finished up my morning routine and slipped my cameo colored pants on, followed by my brown boots, lacing them up and grabbing my cap before heading downstairs, my backpack in my hands. I walked into the kitchen where sammi was bent over the counter, her head resting in her hands. I wrapped my arms around her waist, kissing her cheek softly.

"hey babygirl.." i say, burying my head into her neck and inhaling her scent.

"good morning papa." she says. "I'm sorry i wasn't in bed earlier, i haven't been feeling the best. i've been throwing up all morning, and i feel so bloated."

I let go, looking at her. "damn bae, you pregnant? I sholl aint do it."

she tucks a strand of hair behind her hair, giving me an offended look. "obviously i'm not pregnant, kennedi."

"damn, chill. I was just joking."

"well its not funny."

I shake my head, grabbing my bag and keys, leaving out the front door. she's been actin real weird lately, and i wasn't the type to assume shit, but the way she was acting was weird. i put my seatbelt on and pulled out of the driveway, headed to starbucks. unfortunately, i was in the military and i ran off caffeine. soon as i received my order i headed to the base i worked at, singing along lowly to some random drake song as i pulled onto base, hopping out my car and heading up to the office i worked at, greeting my new friend i had made about two months ago.

"ja'nisa!" i say, catching my friend's eye as she returns the smile and takes her starbucks from me. I always got her one, too. In the short amount of time that we had known each other, we already had so many routines together.

"hey girl!" she says, her green eyes sparkling with happiness. damn girl was always fuckin happy about some shit. she fixes the collar of her uniform before giving me a smug smile. "sooo, how's the wedding planning for you and sammi going?"

I force a small smile as i meet my friend's gaze. "we're good."

"that didn't sound too convincing." she says, but notices my facial expression and decides to change the subject. "my sister is picking me up from work today, you should come with us to help us get some decorations and shit for our moms birthday."

i sigh. not like i wanted to be home with sammi anyway. "yeah sure, i'll come with yall."

"okay, bet. Ill text her."

not too long after me and sammi stopped talking, our captain walked in. usually, he comes in with a joking attitude, and hes smiling. today felt odd, though. he grabbed a ruler off the whiteboard and smacked it against the wall, getting all of our attention.

"listen up. no playing around, this shit is fucking serious. Ive gotten word from higher up that they're going to start distributing pills out to the general public due to the recent overpopulation we've heavily been experiencing lately. the drug will have an expiration date printed specifically for each person its administered to. they have to take the pill on that day, and it will kill them within the time span of an hour to three days. otherwise, we hunt them down and kill them. and let me make this clear. If any of you say anything about what the pill does.. we will not hesitate to kill you as well." he clears his throat then leaves the office as quickly as he came in.