Chapter 1 Run away, darling

Scrunching up his nose at the disgusting smell of smoke around him. Stumbling through the little woods that were left. Thomas slowly approached his small "base" if you can call it that, it was just another word to calm down his unit from thinking that they won't die, this "base" is nothing, just a small camp hidden by some trees and a trench dug in the rotten soil. Jumping or more like falling down face first in one of the hidden trenches Thomas got up and started creeping towards his unit by memory. He'd be damned if his general found out he'd been in sight or didn't make any attempt to hide, or if he used some other way to get to the unit. There were two outcomes, he'd miss a bullet by his head or get actually shot if he used the wrong way, so that's why his general and other mates made sure to memorize what trenches and ways you were allowed to use on a specific day. Was it a pain in the ass and paranoiac? yes, but it was safe.

Wait, didn't his general die?-

Tom's mind got a static sound but he opted to ignore it.

His breaths came out raggedly and uneven, as Thomas was glaring at the muddy and bloody ground. But he pushed forward. The rotten smell of smoke and corpses filled the air, it was disgusting, Thomas wanted to puke but he grew used to the putrid smell and food was a rare thing at the moment in his unit. Supplies haven't been shipped out to them due to being so close to the red army main base and they would probably be easily detected by the red army. But now, that doesn't matter, Tord knows they are there, and oh, if he gets his hands on Thomas, fate won't be so sweet nor lenient.

Tom coughed out a dry cough. His throat really did start to ache for some unknown reason, it felt like he was inhaling fire, his lungs burned inside of him. They were so short on masks, Tom cursed as he remembered the time he declined a mask, thinking he'd be fine without it.

Finally, he reached his unit. He could care less that he looked like a zombie and a scared rabbit. Some of his unit-mates acknowledged his presence. Seemingly unsteady by his presence, one of the mates, "Dale" stood up and walked over to Tom.

Dale took in a breath as he looked behind and around Tom, then tilted his head. "Tom? Where's our general? General Jones?" Dale asked. Tom's mind went back to static before Dale gave Tom a little shock on the shoulder. Tom turned back, narrowed his eyes, and took a deep breath. "General Jones is dead," Tom answered. Dale took a step back as some other unit-mates turned their heads. "What?" "General Jones is dead, he was shot, near one of the trenched, we.." Tom felt so uneasy suddenly. All the eyes were on him, what if they don't believe him? He didn't have the best relationship with this unit nor the deceased general. But Tom gulped and sighed. "We have to leave, red army... they know we are here" This seemed to put everyone in the unit on edge. Panic was written all over their faces, dread, despair, and to think just moments before Tom arrived they had a relatively calm aura here but now. One man came forward "How? where? where will we go? where can we go? and how will we escape?" the man panicked, sweat rolled down his forehead. Another man started to let out distressed whimpers. But Dale, even though he was on edge, stepped forward. "Someone contact the nearest unit here and report for a saving mission immediately! Get the jeeps and guns, Tom is right, we have to leave right now!" "But what about the people on the front lines?!" "Not everyone is here!" "What are we supposed to do?!" Tom looked at Dale. "EVERYONE SHUT THE FUCK UP!" Tom yelled. "Do as Dale said! contact the nearest units, get them on a saving mission, get a location where we're supposed to be at, but now we need to get the jeeps" Tom said, then people started to finally move, the people that could go to the radios to contact the units, the others started to pack weapons and get ready for the jeeps. But there was a group that didn't do jackshit. Dale looked over at them in a questioning manner as one of them came closer. "We're not leaving! there are people out there!" "If we stay we will die!" "What about them?!" "They are better off dead!" Dale yelled.