Chapter 17

Abby looked around the bus and settled on the bunk she wanted.

"You can have the bedroom," Brendon said. "You're 14. You need your own space. And it's quieter back there. If people are on the bus after shows, I don't want them keeping you up."

"But you need space, too, Dad," Abby frowned.

"Yes, but I also had four siblings growing up. I'm used to making do with less space. Please, Abby. Take the bedroom, okay? Stretch out, dump stuff all over. Make it your space."

"For three weeks," she smiled.

"Okay. Maybe don't repaint it or make it a dumpster collection, but make your self comfortable back there.

Abby was still unsure about taking the bedroom but for all intents and purposes, the bus was theirs. No one else would be sleeping on it except Zack, because he is Brendon's security. Other people might wind up crashing on one of the bunks after a show, but for the most part, the bus was just for Abby, Zack, Brendon and Bonnie, the nanny/tutor who was expected to arrive later in the afternoon. And it wasn't certain she'd be staying on their bus, but likely, since there could be nights Brendon was later than others and Bonnie's job was to be Abby's guardian while Brendon was at work.

Abby had argued she didn't need a babysitter, but Brendon had reminded her she was going to miss three weeks of school and needed a tutor so she didn't fall behind. And as independent and intelligent as Abby is, at 14, she was still, legally, a child and needed a responsible adult keeping an eye on her.

"Then who's your babysitter?" She asked Brendon, sitting on a sofa at the front of the bus after they'd dropped their bags on their beds.

Brendon looked at her and raised his eyebrow.

"I'm an adult, silly."

"Yeah, sure. According to your birth certificate, but you said I need a responsible adult watching me. So who is your responsible adult?" Abby smirked.

"I am," Zack said, bringing a few more bags and stuff onto the bus.

"Great," Abby pretended to be exasperated. "I have no responsible adults in my life."

"Hey! That's not fair!" Brendon pretended to be hurt. "I can be responsible."

"Sure, man," Zack laughed as he deposited his duffles onto his bunk.

The three of them laughed.

The manager came onto the bus with their laminates and handed them out.

"Abby!" He said, smiling at the young girl. "How are you!?"

He hugged Abby, who'd stood up when he'd come on the bus.

"I'm okay," she smiled. "Just trying to figure out who is Dad's actual responsible adult."

The manager laughed.

"Me? Maybe?" The manager said.

"I'm doomed," Abby said. "I hope no one lets Sheri know."

"Well, I won't tell her, if you don't," Brendon said.

"Who's Sheri?" The manager asked.

"My social worker," Abby said. "Well, my old social worker. Since I don't need one anymore."

Abby grinned at Brendon who grinned right back at his cheeky daughter.

The manager asked Abby if she minded if he borrowed her dad for a while and told her it could be a couple of hours. Abby said it was fine. Zack said he'd stay back with Abby. There were other security personnel around, so Zack poked his head out of the door and called to one of them.

Brendon hugged his daughter, told her to behave, told Zack to sit on her if he had to, and followed the manager off the bus.

There were some logistical things they needed Brendon's input on and he was going to need to soundcheck soon anyway. Zack had said he'd bring Abby to listen if she wanted.

Back in the bus, Abby was checking all the cabinets to see what the tour sponsors had stocked for them.

"You done snooping?" Zack asked.

"How is it snooping if it's our stuff?" Abby asked, frowning.

"Touché. But still. What if your dad had a surprise hidden?"

"For one, if he did, he wouldn't hide it where he knows I'm gonna snoop. Second, if he had any sort of surprise, he would have had a hard time hiding it since we've literally been in the same space for the past 48 hours," Abby reasoned.

Zack looked at her and sighed.

"Why are you so smart?" He smirked. Abby grinned at him.

"Anyway, I'm bored. Feel like playing a little catch?"

"Zack, it's February! It's cold!"

"It's not that cold," Zack reasoned.

"You are aware I grew up in LA, right? That weather has never been something I've been terribly concerned about, because cold doesn't happen in LA. Not like this," Abby reasoned. Zack smirked at her.

"Fine. No catch outside. Even though movement will warm you up. What do you want to do, then?"

"I dunno. I'm just a dumb kid who needs a nanny or some other responsible adult to watch me. I wonder if Bonnie is a responsible enough adult," Abby mused.

They wound up playing some video games and then they went into the venue to watch Brendon soundcheck.

Abby sat on the stage watching her father belt out a couple of songs. She listened as he suggested some sound changes. Mike and Nicole came over and chatted with her and Zack while waiting for Brendon.  The tour photographer was taking photos and video and snapped a few of Abby sitting and watching her dad.

When Brendon saw the photos later, his heart melted when he saw the look of pure joy and love on Abby's face made his heart glow.

Abby, on the other hand, was running around like the teenager she is. She was unencumbered. She'd stopped using the cane on a constant basis but they'd brought both the cane and the walker just in case.

After the soundcheck, Brendon went looking for Abby. Zack told him she'd headed out to the bus because Bonnie had arrived. Brendon had interviewed Bonnie but he wanted to go see her and make sure Abby and her would work together well. After all, she was the one he'd be trusting to keep Abby safe when he wasn't able to.