Chapter 12

By Thanksgiving, Abby was asking to go back to school. Her therapies were going well, she was able to hold a pen better, and her fine motor skills were improving.  Brendon couldn't say no. So, three days a week, Brendon drove Abby to school.  He watched as she rolled herself confidently into the building. She'd adapted well.

But travel was a challenge so Brendon's parents decided to travel to L.A. to be with Abby and Brendon for Thanksgiving. Abby missed her extended family, but was also happy to have her grandparents to herself.

Brendon had Thanksgiving dinner catered. He invited Zack and Kala, his bandmates and their partners. Abby was all smiles all day.

The day after Thanksgiving, Abby seemed a little low energy. Brendon figured it was the excitement of the weekend and everyone having stayed late. But as the Friday after Thanksgiving wore on, Abby's eyes got glassy and Brendon noticed her cheeks were red. He touched her forehead as she lay on the couch, looking miserable.

"Abby, you're burning up!" He said.

"Dad, I don't feel good," she whined. Grace came over and looked at Abby.

"She has a fever," Brendon said. "I don't like this."

Brendon got the thermometer. Abby's temperature was 104°.

"We're going to the ER," Brendon said, picking his daughter up off the couch and rushing to get his wallet and car keys. Grace and Boyd followed. Boyd held Abby in his arms in the car. Abby was barely conscious.

"Stay with me, honeybee," Boyd said, brushing some hair off Abby's forehead. Abby's eyes rolled back before settling on her grandfather. She hadn't said a word since telling Brendon she didn't feel well.

They pulled up at the hospital by which point Abby's eyes had closed. Boyd wasn't sure if she was asleep or unconscious. He didn't really care. He just wanted his granddaughter to be well.

The family rushed inside and Brendon spoke to a nurse. She came around her desk and took Abby's temperature. She moved fast after that, getting Abby into the back and getting her assessed urgently. Abby's fever had snuck up to 105°. 

Abby was assessed, changed, and rushed into imaging. She had X-rays, a CT scan and bloodwork done.

When all of that was done, Abby was admitted. The doctor was thinking she might have a UTI. The results for that would take a couple of days to come back.  She was on a broad spectrum antibiotic, because her blood work showed there was definitely something brewing.

Brendon sat beside his daughter, holding her hand as she slept. Her grandparents sat on her other side, just watching.

Abby opened her eyes a couple of hours later. They were still glassy and she still clearly had a high fever. But she was awake. Brendon sat up.

"Dad?" Abby said.

"Hey there, kiddo. You're gonna be okay," he said.

"But, Dad," Abby whined.

"What is it, sweetheart? Are you cold? Hungry?"

"I have to pee," Abby said. And tears came to her eyes.

"You..." Brendon looked at Abby square in the eyes.  "You what?"

"I have to pee," she said, sobbing. "I can feel it and I have to pee!"

Abby could feel her bladder was full! 

"Okay," Brendon said, "Okay. Let's get you to the bathroom!"

Grace jumped up as Brendon took Abby out of bed and carried her to the bathroom attached to her room. Grace pushed Abby's I.V. pole behind them.  Brendon kept kissing Abby's head as Abby cried. But they were somewhat happy tears. Only somewhat because she couldn't feel her legs still, and she felt crappy.

Grace stayed in the washroom with Abby and helped her use the toilet, while Brendon went to talk to a nurse.

"I'm so cold, Granny," Abby shivered as she sat on the toilet.

"I know, sweetheart. You have a pretty high fever right now. We'll get you back to bed and under those cozy blankets as soon as your Dad gets back."

"Can PopPop take me back to bed?" Abby asked, she was shaking, she was so cold. Grace helped Abby finish on the toilet and get her pants back up. She'd put a new diaper on her once she was back in bed.  She called for Boyd who came in, lifted his granddaughter into his arms and carried her to her bed.  Grace helped her get a new diaper on quickly then covered her feverish granddaughter with the blankets on the bed.

"Do you want a tea or something?" Grace asked, smoothing Abby's hair.

"No," Abby chattered.  "I'm so cold though."

Grace rubbed Abby's arm as Brendon and the nurse came back in.

"Abs?" Brendon asked, looking at her. But Abby was no longer aware of her surroundings. Her eyes were unfocused and glassy.

"She doesn't look good," Brendon frowned. "What happened?"

"She's burning up, Brendon," Grace said. "I think her fever just got higher."

Just then, Abby's body started shaking.

"She's having a seizure," the nurse said, putting the head of Abby's bed down so she was laying flat while her body shook.

"Why? What's happening?" Brendon asked.

"I'll check her temperature when she stops seizing, but I'm thinking it's febrile. High fevers can cause seizures.  She should not have any adverse effects. Obviously we'll know more once she's done seizing and I can assess her.

A minute later, Abby stopped seizing but didn't open her eyes.

"She's probably asleep," the nurse said, doing some checks. "Yeah. She's asleep, see?  She'll probably sleep this off. Give it a couple of hours."

Brendon worried. Of course he worried. He was a father. And his daughter wasn't well. It was beyond his control.

"Brendon, why don't you go take a walk?" Grace suggested. "You've been here the whole time, Abby's asleep. Dad and I are here. Go get some air. You need a break."

"I don't want to leave her side," Brendon said, holding Abby's hand.

"We're right here. You don't have to go for long, just go. Clear your head."

So he did. And Abby was fine when he got back. Still asleep, but otherwise fine.