Twice in a Dream

'That was some of the best sleep I've had in a while.'

I feel a weight on my stomach. I look down to see Laffey laying on me, nestling her head in my bosom.

'Did she just-?'

I pat her head, seeing she is awake. "Hi Laffey, good sleep?"

She looks up at me, worry in her eyes. "You were hurt. Why?"

"Huh?"

She points at my cheek, a cut left across it from the training with Purifier from yesterday.

"Oh, that. I hurt myself during training, it's nothing, really."

"Don't lie."

'Should I tell her? But... no, I'll tell her a half truth. I don't want her getting involved in my drama.'

"I-"

"Did it have to do with your dream?"

"W-what?"

"I saw you reading a book. It was strange, it wasn't English, but it made sense."

"Wait, what?! Are you okay?!" I grab her, looking into her eyes, and checking to see if anything is out of place with her actions.

She shakes her head. "I'm okay. I feel fine."

"But how?! It should have made you insane, or worse! But... you didn't read it, I did. Maybe because you just saw my dreams, you just saw my understanding, nothing else!"

She nods, "Maybe."

I grab her into a hug, not noticing the blush on her face. "Thank god you're alright!"

She lets out a delayed "mhm.", pulling me further into the hug.

After a minute we break out of the hug, before I ask her if she wants to do anything.

"Onsen"

"Good idea, I could use a nice warm bath."

__

Me and Laffey are sitting next to each other in the royal navy's attempt at an onsen. Still never going to be as good as the real deal.

"It's nice that we have it all to ourselves, right Laffey?"

Laffey seems zoned out, only responding after I tap her shoulder, "...yeah."

"What's wrong?"

Laffey looks away, shying from my gaze. "Nothing."

I try to encourage her, "C'mon, you can tell me. Besides, whatever it is, this is probably the best time to say it."

She looks back to me, "Is it because you're relaxing in a hot spring?"

I give a slight nod, sinking into the water a little more, "mhm."

She seems to settle at the words, before addressing me. "Well, something's been on my mind for a while."

"What is it?"

Laffey takes a deep breath, failing to calm herself. She reaches for her flask at the edge of the pool, before I snatch it from her hands.

She looks at me, and I shake my head. "No. Problem first, then maybe alcohol later."

She shakes her head at me, before trying to calm herself again. I grab her hand, trying to encourage her a little.

I can hear my heartbeat in my ears.

She takes a deep breath, before just forcing herself to speak. "I... I think I love you, Reprisal."