~~Chapter 15: Tournament (Part 1)~~

CW: Panic attack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Now, we'll have an hour long break! Buy some food and drinks and prepare for the next epic game! Hey, Eraser, let's grab some food." Hizashi's voice rang out all across the arena, signaling the beginning lunch break.

As the rest of the classes—those who failed and those who moved on alike—made their way off of the large field as the cheering of the crowd quietened, I grabbed Gon's hand and made my way inside.

Constantly looking left and right to make sure no one was nearby, even though I would have easily noticed them, I led him away from the crowds of students and further into the bowels of the arena, until we reached one of the waiting rooms for those who made it into the last phase.

No one would be using these yet, since the final phase of the festival hadn't yet begun, so this was my best bet at the moment.

Gon, meanwhile, was constantly whining about where I was dragging him, which made sense, since I still hadn't let him go.

As we walked in, I closed the door behind us, locking it to not be interrupted by anyone, even unsuspecting staff.

"Why did you drag me here?" Gon, the oh so innocent bean, asked as I turned back to him.

Instead of answering him like a normal person, because I'm not, I lead him to the table in the middle of the room and hauled him onto it, jumping up to sit on it as well.

And so we sat there, in silence. Because I was an idiot and didn't think this through.

Gon was practically oozing confusion, and I honestly couldn't blame him.

"What is this-"

"So about what-"

We both stopped speaking immediately, waiting for the other to start speaking again. We sat in an awkward silence for a few more seconds, before I decided to suck it up and speak.

"So, about what Mei said" I spoke turning my head slightly to look at him.

He blushed and looked away. I grinned.

"What about it?" He turned his head back towards me, saw my grin, and immediately turned back.

My grin widened.

But then it dampened a bit.

Because damn, I had no idea how to actually do this.

I really should have prepared more before dragging him here.

Well, no time better than the present, or whatever they say.

So, instead of saying something, I did something far stupider.

I kissed him.

Without saying a thing.

In the middle of a waiting room at one of the largest events in all of Japan.

I lightly grabbed his face and turned it towards me, his eyes wide in shock, and slowly closed the distance between us. He didn't pull away. I closed my eyes, feeling his shallow breath fanning over my face.

And our lips touched.

And he didn't pull away.

And my breath was taken away.

Because he didn't pull away.

When we finally pulled back, we were left breathless and flushed, smiles on our faces.

And at that very moment I knew, this was just the beginning. And I was excited.

A small chuckle left my throat as I smiled wider. At some point we had left the table without me really noticing, and were now just standing there, breathless and happy.