Chapter 2

For as long as he could remember, Kodiak had not left the town of Holwell. Why leave? Everything one would ever need could be found in one of the shops or diners that littered the town and surrounding area. For the most part, people who were born in Holwell, died in Holwell.

The school, Holwell School District, was broken up into two buildings: one designated as the elementary school and another shared building between middle and high schoolers. Kodiak had been in most every classroom and library of both buildings by the time he reached the 11th grade. There was never more than 500 students enrolled at any given point in history. In fact, the original school house from years and years ago could be found close to the new school, by the courthouse centering the town.

On any given day, the upper level building of the school would be bustling about with teachers getting classes in order and students working on assignments and extracurricular activities before first period. However, on this specific day in September, that was not the case.

News travels fast in a small town and Holwell is no exception to this rule. Ever since Ms. Graham, a waitress at a local diner, sent word out of her missing son, Kodiak Graham, the whole town had been turned on it's head. The local sheriff's department had issued a strict 8:00 pm curfew in case the perpetrator was still on the prowl while search parties began to scour the surrounding farmland and scenic routes. But no one saw anything. The boy was simply, gone.

...

Kodiak had grown nauseous of the bumps of the truck ride which led him down gravel and old pavement. He had lost track of where he was after an hour of driving. He did not even know if he was still in Alabama anymore.

Barker had not spoken a word upon entering the truck. Kodiak did not dare break the silence within the cab. Barker simply drove. The scared boy in the back would not gain enough courage to speak until what felt like a few hours of unfamiliar roads.

"What do you plan to do with me?" Kodiak's almost whisper cut through the silence like a hot knife.

A moment passed before Barker spoke. His placid expression only showed a little contemplation before he answered.

"I plan to train you." Was his only response.

"Train me? Fo..for what?"

"No need to worry with it now. We've got hours still till we make it." And with that, the conversation was over.

...

Kodiak had not realized he dosed off until Barker made a sharp turn, throwing the small boy from his seat. Panic once more set in as he could not tell how long he had been asleep. By this time, the surroundings of the truck were pitch black. The fading colors from the sun had long since faded from the tree lines and the only light that remained was that of the full moon looming above the horizon. There was something Kodiak found peaceful about the scenery, even through the situation at hand.

All too soon, the truck was wrenched to the left and followed a single lane gravel driveway and jolted to a stop in front of a house. Kodiak could not make out any details about the house, save for a white porch light that flowed by what was assumed as the front door.

"Try to run," Barker picked up a holstered pistol from beside his chair, "and you won't do it again."

A nod was Kodiak's only response.

Barker opened the boy's door and led him to the porch light. He fumbled with some keys and picked out a small, rounded, gold key and quietly cracked open the door. Still, Kodiak could not make out any details of the scene around him. Only the outlines of furniture pieces and estimates of walls and doors.

Kodiak followed the man who ushered him in the door and locking it behind him. Barker led him down a hallway and opened the last door to the left. He flipped on the light switched and flooded Kodiak with bright light.

The room has a twin sized bed centered on a wall facing a dresser. A closet and bathroom were both connected to the room as well. A large window framed a black square to the side of the bed.

"This is your room, boy." A flat tone.

No words came to Kodiak before Barker turned and walked out. Before he could think, a click rang out. "The door must have a lock on the outside." Kodiak thought. He no longer cared, however, and fell onto the bed. Today, Kodiak had been kidnapped and threatened. But tomorrow, what would it hold?