See, My Birds Of A Kind, They More And More Are Looking Alike

Arny's POV

It's been weeks since our first mission. We hadn't gotten a report from our families about the aftermath of the mission. But I have not forgotten the words that Skye uttered.

"I didn't swindle money from the families!"

Was he lying to save his ass? I can count the many times my targets lied to abstain them from their guilt. But the evidence doesn't lie, and the kill acts as a punishment. Even so, those words were etched in my head. I spun the sentence over and over like a spider spinning a web. A web of confusion was spun in my brain. No matter how much I researched and asked questions, I came up with absolutely nothing. 

I knew today that I had to take my mind off the whole thing. As I mentioned before, it's been weeks since the first mission. I can't be so hooked on a lie told by a swindler. And what better way to take your mind off of something incredibly concerning by honing my skills? After we came back from the first mission, we explored the mansion and we discovered a basement made for a training room. I guess they want us to stay sharp.

I already changed into something sporty and made my way down the long spiral staircase to the basement. When I entered, I was not alone. Pete was there lifting weights. Little ghostly wisps were lifting the heavier dumbbells as well. 

"You've got some nice muscles there, Pete." I said to get his attention.

He instantly stopped and his head shot up in shock. I chuckled at his reaction. I didn't mind flirting with my male friends. It's even worse that we're living with each other, so the amount of flirting we do is over the roof.

"Oh? You like 'em? I work these bad boys out every day. Someone has to be afraid of a muscular killer ghost!" Pete laughed.

"I'd find it attractive honestly!" I quipped.

"Okaaay, now you're just saying that to make me blush!" The ghost hybrid exclaimed.

I joined Pete in lifting weights. We chatted softly for a bit. I saw no point in being a social recluse if I was living with three other guys in a Victorian-esque mansion. I didn't feel odd about sharing my experience of being an assassin, since the person I'm lifting weights with is also an assassin. We both have to live up to our family names. Overall, it was breath of fresh air to share the same grievances with someone in the same boat.

"So, like, how are you even half-ghost?" I asked.

"Huh?" He responded.

"You're half-human, half-ghost. I've never seen a hybrid like you before." I said.

"Ohhhhh, that? Well, uh, the thing is....I was supposed to be originally human. But my ancestors were cursed by a powerful witch centuries ago. So, because of that curse, all my family members and their significant others are half-ghost. I really don't want to get into much detail, to be honest." Pete explained.

"If you don't feel comfortable, it's okay. I was just curious. Being half-ghost means you make some easy kills, yeah?" I replied, trying to sound reassuring. 

"If anything, I'm a goddamn poltergeist. I can scare my targets, sure, but I still have to use normal means of getting the final kill. I wish I could be like my parents and pull off a death by possession. That could be soooo badass!" Pete remarked. 

"Well, we can do enough missions so you can work on that skill!" I affirmed.

We laughed softly. For the first time in forever, I actually felt comfortable in my own skin. It doesn't matter if we were brought together to become the most powerful assassins to ever exist, the fact that we can sit here and share a conversation means so much to me. Looking past the fact that we're hitman prodigies, the four of us were just young adults trying to find a footing in this crazy world. It's so difficult since we'll be stuck in the never-ending cycle of bloodshed. However, I've gotten used to it. We've all gotten used to it. I will always reiterate that it takes guts to take someone's life and live with no regrets.