Chapter 2

Arthur Kirkland could not sleep. He couldn't believe how bloody uncomfortable his chair was. No matter how many positions he tried, he could not fall asleep. Sleep tugged at his eyes making him feel even worse about his current predicament.

"Bloody hell," he muttered, standing and stretching. He felt his back crack painfully and groaned.

Arthur glanced over at Sofia who was sleeping soundly in his bed. His bed. The thought angered him that he had been polite. He had given up sleep for her.

As he stared, Arthur notice gold earrings dangling from her ears delicately. He smirked to himself, creeping close. He used two fingers and slipped one from her ear. He placed a hand on the side of her head, turning it slightly. He grabbed the other in the exact same way and pulled it off smoothly. He clasped the two gold earrings in his hand lightly, examining them. "These could go fer a fair price," he muttered. Arthur stood again, throwing the earrings in a nearby empty rum bottle, leaving the room.

The sea breeze hit Arthur as soon as he reached the deck. He took a deep breath, smiling to himself. "Nothin' like the cool night air," he said to himself. He made his way to the wheel, boots clunking against the old wood floorboards of his ship. He rest a hand on the wheel lightly. His eyes closed, feeling the breeze on his skin was all he needed. Arthur stayed that way for awhile, in absolute tranquility.

Soon, he heard little footsteps walking across the deck. The footsteps were too light to be one of his men. Therefore, he could only assume that it was Sofia. Arthur cracked open an eye. Looking through the dim light, he could see a lithe figure moving along the deck quietly. It definitely looked like the princess but he couldn't be so sure.

Arthur knew about the sea women that lurked in the deep, waiting for lone ships to cross them. They then lured them into the water with beauty or song. Once they had lured the men in, they would drag them down, devouring the man.

Arthur drew his sword, trying not to make as much noise as possible. Then, he took off his boots to minimize the sound they made when he walked. The captain crept toward the figure slowly.

This figure now stood on the side at the edge of the ship, looking out on the water. Arthur stopped right beside the woman, sword raised. He wasn't taking any chances even if it was the princess. "What are ye doin' out here?" he demanded.

The woman turned to him, revealing the face of his princess. "C-captain?" Sofia asked softly.

Arthur squinted and began to lower his sword. "What are ye doin' out here, princess?" he repeated.

She watched the sword and trembled. "I-I couldn't s-sleep, Captain," she stuttered.

The captain sheathed his sword. "Don' be scared. It was just a precaution, princess," he muttered still annoyed at her.

Sofia turned her head to face the sea again. The moon illuminated the sea, shining distinctively. It was one of the many things that Arthur loved about the sea he claimed his. "It's beautiful," she said wistfully. Arthur watched her for a second then followed her gaze. "Aye. It sure is," he replied.

Sofia sighed happily and rested against him, her head on his shoulder. Arthur glanced at her again. "I love the sea, captain~," she murmured, looking up at him. "As do Ah," he muttered, looking at her curiously. Sofia wasn't acting like her usual self. He hasn't known her for long but he was sure this is not how you acted towards your captor. Arthur also knew she had not had such a pleasant experience with the sea thus far, so the statement left him perplexed.

"I love it so much. I just want to..." She paused and smiled. She quickly stripped and jumped into the water in a flash.

"OI! What the bloody hell....?!" Arthur yelled after her. He leaned over the side of the boat, panicking a little. First, women usually couldn't swim and if they could, they were probably a witch. Second, his prisoner was escaping and he couldn't let that happen.