Prologue

A/N: introducing my new baby, just in time for the Fourth of July!  As always, please let me know if you're enjoying it!  Comments, questions, and feedback are welcome!  We start off with a hard hitting death, rip Carole. 

Rain on a funeral day; rather cliche, Kelsey knew that, but considering how her life had gone thus far, she really shouldn't have been surprised in the slightest.  It was quiet in the house, and that felt like the biggest crime yet.

The Bradshaw Household had long been full of warmth and piano music, usually until late in the night.  From downstairs, she could hear faint speaking, which contrasted sharply against the usual sounds.

Probably Uncle Pete and her brother Brad.  Kelsey fingered the pearls around her necklace, a small sense of fear running through her.  She thought she'd have more time before this.  Thought that she wouldn't have to think about it all.

But the simple fact of the matter was that the cancer had taken everyone by surprise.  Aggressive, rare, and fast-moving—Carole really hadn't stood a chance.  Pete had come by more and more since then, but everyone knew what the prognosis was going to be.

Everyone knew what was coming.

And not a single person had wanted to talk to Kelsey about it.  About how she felt, about how much fear it struck into her.  Dad, already gone.  Kelsey, 15 and motherless.  All alone. 

She thought, that maybe adults were more scared of facing an angry teenager, than of actually confronting their own grief.  Brad, she at least understood.  He was angry and was dropping out of college to help with her—

But none of it was fair.

Not a single bit.

A knock on the door came and Kelsey turned, finding Bradley leaning in the doorway, a solemn expression on his face.  "Pearls, huh?"

She huffed.  "Don't make me punch you today.  A tie?" She challenged, gesturing her head at the half-done piece of work around his neck.  Before he could respond to that, Kelsey took a step forward.

He swatted her hands away and she just continued her work, tying it up.  "That's mom's job." Bradley said in a quiet voice.

"Yeah, well it's mine now." Kelsey retorted, finishing it.  She took a step back, eyes washing over her brother.  In reality, they were just two kids whose childhoods had been stolen by death.

That was the thing about death, it didn't pick and choose.  It just took.

Bradley cleared his throat, head gesturing back at the stairs.  "Uncle Pete just got here.  We uh—we better head to the cemetery."

"Right," Kelsey murmured.  She followed after him, pausing on the last two steps.  She always skipped down them, every day without fail.  She had nothing to look forward to today though.

Taking the last two steps slowly, and each step feeling like lead, she found Uncle Pete standing in the entryway to the home, eyes locked on a picture frame.  At the sound of their footsteps, Pete Mitchell glanced over, eyes washing over his godson and goddaughter. 

"Heyya, kid." Pete murmured.

Kelsey wasn't particularly feeling touchy-feely.  Not today.  She didn't want a hug.  She just wanted today to be over.  "Hey, Uncle Pete."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelsey took a sip from her water bottle, letting the taste burn in her mouth.  Yeah, she had gotten into her mom's cabinet.  Used for only special occasions, and mostly when Uncle Pete came over and they were reminiscing about dad, Kelsey found no such reason why she shouldn't have some.

Rain pelted her shoulders as she stared at the headstone.  There was just a small group here at the graveyard.  Her fingers dug into the stem of the rose she was holding.  Something pricked against her thumb.

Looking down and slightly startled, she found a small bead of crimson blooming against her skin.  She turned, letting out a deep sigh as her eyes found her brother.  "Can we go now?"

At that, Bradley and Pete exchanged the same warning glance.  Kelsey was no stranger to trouble, and usually the kid that ended up grounded more than half of the time.  They had experienced firsthand the moods and dealt with every emotional outburst during this process.  But this?  At the funeral? 

"Hey, duckie—" Bradley started, taking a step closer to her.  As soon as her breath hit his face, his expression changed.  Always quick to anger, Bradley grabbed the water bottle from her grasp.

He tossed it to Pete, who caught it and immediately understood what was going on here.  "Kelsey—" Pete started in a disappointed tone.

"What would mom and dad say—"

"Who cares?" Kelsey demanded, gesturing wildly at the tombstone in front of them.  "Mom's dead and I never even knew dad!"

"You shouldn't—"

"Oh cut the bullshit, Brad-Brad.  You're just mad that Uncle Pete can't get off of duty until the summer and you have to take care of me until then."

"That's not—"

"Screw you!" Kelsey hurried off, astounding both men.

She didn't stop running until her black dress was soaked and her hair was dripping.  Coming to a stop underneath a tree, she sank into the wet grass, letting the dirt soak the tights she was wearing.

Footsteps sounded behind her and she let out a hot breath of anger.  "I swear to God, Uncle Pete—" A chuckle was heard, but it wasn't in the voice of either Pete Mitchell or Bradley Bradshaw.  Head swiveling, her eyes widened at the sight of someone in front of her.  "You're not Uncle Pete."

"No, definitely not.  Tom Kazaknsky," the man in uniform took a seat next to her and she just stared at the ground.

"You a friend of my mom's?"

"Yeah.  We got to know each other better after your dad died, though."

"So you're a pilot, too." Kelsey stated in slight distaste. 

"I'm also a father.  I've got an adult daughter.  I tend to know what to say in these situations." Tom smiled easily at her, and she wondered how he could honestly keep it together.

"If they sent you to ground me—"

"I came to see if you were alright," Tom corrected.  "Losing a parent isn't an easy thing.  And considering that Pete isn't...the best with emotions—"

Kelsey let out a hollow laugh.  "You could say that again."

"I'm just betting that no one's asked you how you feel about everything."

For the first time since the day began, Kelsey looked at someone in sincerity.  "I...I've got a lot on my mind."

"I've got time.  And a phone, if you need to talk more?" Tom offered.

Kelsey smiled softly.  "I'd really like that."