Chapter 1: Normal Day as 18

"Mother, where are we going today for lunch?" Lorraine questioned. My mother, Rose, and father, Louis, took us out to eat every Sunday after church. Growing up Chicago it was always busy and we hardly ever ate at the same place.
" Mark's Diner. I heard the sandwiches there are quite delicious!" My mother exclaimed. Even if we are "rich", we still love the little shops and restaurants around Chicago. We have never been to this diner before so it'll something new. Not that wasn't normal for our family.
"Get out of the car everybody, we are here!" (Yes, we have a car.) My father said. Getting out of the car being the in the middle meant that Robert and Lorraine would fight about which door to open. It was rather stupid if you ask me since they're both able to open the door and get out. Not that they ever thought of such a thing. Luckily, my dad opened Lorraine's door for us to get out.
"Thank you, sir." I said to my father as he smiled. I always had to call him sir or father. Dad or their real name was considered "not polite" even though I've heard my friends call their dad those names. Obviously, I won't fight my parents on it.
" Oh my gosh, this place looks horrid! Mother, we need to leave this dump!" Lorraine said. My mother looked towards her with a glare.
" Don't say things like that, Lorraine. You're lucky I can't knock some sense into you right here!" Lorraine just stood with her arms crossed with a big "Hmph". She's quite the brat.
As we were standing in line, a long one too, I looked around and saw the busy people in the kitchen making food insanely fast speeds. It amazes me that in 1920 people can do that! I've always wanted to be a chef, but now I'm not sure. I do like the idea of having my own restaurant someday, too.
"Next!" The young blonde girl called to us. She did the normal, "How many people?" And gave us the menus. We sat in a booth as we all ordered our drinks. As usual though, Lorraine had to make sure everything she wanted was the exact way she wanted it.
" I want a smoothie that is strawberry flavored and has whipped cream, not too much, and 1 cherry. Also a straw that bends, please. " My mother gave my sister a look.
" Um, we have soda, milk, juice, and water. We don't make smoothies here anymore." The lady explained.
" What?! Tsk, I'll just have a water, please." She said being angrier than when she first walked in. I know for sure, we won't be coming here again.
Despite my sisters rudeness, the waiter was kind and smiled writing the order down. She left to go get our drinks as we were looking for food to eat.
"What are you having?" Robert asked me.
" I don't know yet. I might have a ham sandwich, though." I looked up to see him nodding.
" I just might have that too. What about you, father?" Robert turned him. I turned to see my father with a certain look on his face I couldn't quite read. He did look sick, though.
" Dear, are you alright?" My mother asked noticing his expression as well.
" Just feel a little sick, don't worry about it, Rose." My father assured her.
My mother gave him a small smile and turned back to the menu. Soon, the lady came back each of our orders. This time Lorraine wasn't a pain with her order. About 20 minutes later, we started to munch on our food.
It wasn't all that bad, actually. It makes me think, what if I were to have my own restaurant? What would it be a type of food? Would I serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Maybe even dessert? What would I call it? There were so many questions running through my head and I was very curious. I've always wanted to be some type of salesman or chef something along those lines like I had thought of earlier. Being a senior and the oldest, it meant that I was going to be heading off into the world. It was rather a scary thought, but I knew this day would come very quickly.
My parents paid the bill and we went back to the house. The car ride back was pretty much just my mother telling my sister that the way she acted was rude and the next time we go out to a restaurant she won't be coming with us. Even though we went out every Sunday, my 10 year old sister still acted like it was a big deal to miss one lunch out. Lots of kids don't do what we do, but she doesn't know that or if she does, she chooses to ignore it.