Chapter 4

Z.R

I lay on my bed, my hand tucked under my head and the other resting on my abdomen. The pale moonlight filters through the curtains, casting a gentle glow upon the darkened room. But my mind is far from the tranquility of the night. It is consumed by Verianna, the woman whose presence has captivated my thoughts since the moment our paths crossed.

I can't help but replay the moments we've shared in my mind. Her sweet voice echoes in my ears, her professionalism at such a young age, successfully owning her bookstore despite it being recently opened. The way her pout surfaces when she glares at me or the adorable surprise that flickers in her eyes when I wipe away the hint of chocolate from the corner of her lips. Everything about her, from her brown curly locks to her oddly familiar hazel eyes, draws me in.

"Do I know her? Her eyes look so familiar. I have seen her before," I question myself, frustration seeping into my thoughts. The feeling of a missing puzzle piece gnaws at my mind, an elusive connection that begs to be uncovered. But before I can delve deeper into this mystery, the shrill ring of my phone shatters the silence.

I sigh, annoyed at the untimely interruption, and without checking the caller ID, I answer with a curt, "What?"

The voice on the other end belongs to Alexander Bross, or Alex, as I call him. He is my best friend since young age. He sounds breathless, panic lacing his words. "Zafar! We need you at the headquarters now!"

My heart skips a beat at the urgency in his voice. Something serious must have happened for Alex to call me at such an hour. With a swift motion, I sit up, and my mind focuses on the impending crisis. "On my way," I reply, my voice laced with determination.

Time is of the essence, and I don't bother changing out of my tight black shirt and grey sweatpants. I know the urgency demands swift action. Without a second thought, I hurriedly make my way to the garage, the moonlight guiding my steps.

As I slide behind the wheel of my sleek grey BMW, the engine roars to life, and I maneuver through the streets with a sense of urgency. My thoughts are consumed by Verianna and the enigma surrounding our connection, but for now, duty calls.

Minutes later, I arrive at our secret headquarters, concealed from prying eyes. However, the sight that greets me shatters any semblance of calm I have left. Flames lick the night sky, casting an eerie glow, and the scent of smoke fills the air. Injured and lifeless bodies litter the scene, a devastating sight that makes my blood run cold.

But it is the sight of my father, Nicholas Romano, that sends a surge of panic through my body. He lies in the hands of our private doctor, Dr. Diego, his abdomen covered in blood. I rush to his side, my voice trembling as I call out, "Papa! You're okay, right, Papa?"

There is no response, and dread grips my heart. Dr. Diego's calm voice urges me to step away, but I can't tear my gaze away from my father's still form. "Dr. Diego, Papa's okay, right?" I plead, desperation seeping into my words, but the doctor only continues with his focused efforts, helping the nurses transfer Nicholas onto an emergency bed before whisking him away in an ambulance.

My mind spins, panic threatening to consume me. I need answers and reassurance, and in my desperate search for understanding, I seek out Alex. However, the private firemen guarding the headquarters prevented me from entering the burning building. Frustration boils within me as I strain against their hold, trying to break free.

Suddenly, Alex materializes beside me, his presence a fleeting comfort. I yell in anguish, "What the hell happened? Papa was shot, Alex! He might not survive."

"Zafar, you need to calm down," Alex says, his voice soothing yet tinged with concern. "The police will be here soon, and if they find us at the scene, it will only complicate matters further. We need to leave."