Chapter 1

19 September 2023

V.R

I jolt awake, my heart pounding against my chest. The rays of sunlight filtering through the window serve as a cruel reminder that I have overslept. I shoot up in bed, bewildered by the absence of my alarm's melodic chime, betraying me on the most crucial day of my life. Jumping out of bed, I scramble to fix my unruly hair. But the strands seem determined to defy my every attempt at taming them. What should take a few minutes turns into a frustrating hour of brushing, curling, and spraying.

With my hair finally somewhat presentable, I glance at the clock and gasp. Time has slipped away from me, and my beloved breakfast, the meal that always sets the tone for my day, has become nothing more than a distant dream. A pang of hunger tugs at my stomach, but there is no time to dwell on it. In a whirlwind of panic, I throw on my carefully selected outfit. My black skirt hugs my curves in all the right places, and I adjust my blazer to achieve the perfect balance of professionalism and style. Each movement is a race against the ticking clock.

"Mom, I don't have time for breakfast," I say. My voice rushed as I grabbed my bag and headed towards the door.

"But you need to eat something before you go!" Mom's voice fills with concern as she shoves a plate of pancakes into my hands.

I try to protest, but before I can speak, she insists, "Just one bite, please Verianna. It's important to start your day with something nutritious."

Knowing her persistence, I sigh and take a hurried bite, feeling the warmth of the pancake fill my mouth. "Thanks, Mom," I manage to say, my words muffled as I chew.

She smiles and kisses me on the cheek. "Good luck, sweetheart. You'll do amazing!"

I turn to my brother, Jace, his presence always giving me a sense of reassurance. I ruffle his hair, a playful gesture between us. "Don't get into more fights in school, okay?"

He chuckles and smirks. "No promises, Vee. Good luck!"

As I glance around, my gaze falls upon Papa's usual spot at the breakfast table. Confusion crosses my face, and I ask, "Hey, where's Dad?"

Jace's expression softens, and he hesitates before replying, "He left town this morning for a business trip. He didn't want to disturb your preparations."

A tinge of sadness wells up within me, a pang of disappointment at not being able to say goodbye to him properly. But I quickly shake it off, not wanting to let it overshadow my focus. With a nervous smile, I say, "Oh, okay. Well, wish me luck!"

My family exchanges encouraging nods and well wishes as I hurry towards the door. Deep down, the absence of Dad tugs at my heart, but I push it aside, determined to stay focused on the task at hand.

As I step out into the bustling world outside, a mix of emotions swirls within me. The taste of the half-eaten pancake lingers in my mouth, a reminder of my mother's care. The touch of my brother's hair under my fingertips brings a sense of camaraderie.

And though my Dad's absence casts a shadow, I know his support is with me, even from afar.

I dart out of my apartment, a place that exudes luxury and elegance, befitting the dreams I hold for my future. But there is no time to appreciate the opulence. Today is about proving myself worthy of the finest job in New York, a position reserved for those who have graduated from esteemed universities and excelled in their fields.

In my rush, I make a daring decision. I will have to rely on Dad's prized possession, the white Bugatti Chiron, to navigate the bustling streets of the city. It is a car he cherishes, a symbol of his success, and a testament to the hard work that has brought us here. But desperate times call for desperate measures.