Chapter 17: Politics

I saw Blake passing by and I ran after him. "Blake!" I yelled.

He turned back to look at me. "Yea?"

"What's happening to the hunters?"

"We'll be ambushing them in three weeks."

"Okay, did I get a job to do?"

Blake's voice took on a teasing lilt. "Well, with how insistent you were last time I talked to the elders about you joining the battle."

My cheeks flushed. "It's not like I want to fight, actually its the opposite but I know I can't get the coven's support without sacrificing something."

"Well, you're right about that. The our generation has started rooting for you after finding out that you got the werewolves to ally with us."

"Yea, most of the vampires over 100 are siding with Finley and the other candidates that come from powerful families."

I sighed, yet another obstacle but at least I have some status now, I thought.

"Anyway, what's my job?"

"I pushed for a safer job but Finley and the rest of the Noblis got their way. You'll be on the ground, they argued that if an outsider can just come in and mess up the structure, they should do something in return."

"Wait, what's the Noblis?"

"I never told you?" I shook my head, "There are three political parties in the North American Vampire monarchy. The largest is the Revolutionists, who make up 40% of vampires. Revolutionists only believe in strength and power, hence why the competition exists."

"The second is the Noblis, they make up 35%. The Noblis party or NP are essentially just power-hungry nobles. They've been vying for an Oligarchy since the first vampire ruler came into power."

"Who are a part of the Noblis?"

He looked like he was thinking, "There is Anastasia's family, she is a part of the duchy. Kane's as well, Kane comes from a marquis' family." I immediately grimaced at hearing Kane's name.

"What about you, or the rest? Are they Noblis?"

He looked almost disgusted by my comment. "No, I'm a revolutionary, so is Amara. Ishan is a Loyalist, we tease him for it a lot."

"What's wrong with that? You shouldn't mock a view just because it's not your own."

"That's not why, Valerie. Loyalists are usually seen as little puppies following their master, and even the monarchs rarely respect them. Loyalists are basically cowards that can't pick a side so they just sit 'till the decision is made for them." I was about to tell him not to make fun of Ishan before he spoke.

Blake held up his hand in a placating manner, "Calm down, I don't include Ishan in this but he realizes that it's inevitable to be ridiculed by others if he doesn't change his views."

I just decided to stop arguing on the issue. "Okay."

Blake got a call on his phone, "I gotta take this, you should go report to Finley." I nodded and he walked away.