Chapter twenty-nine

Hank was kept in a tent at all times, with someone always at its entrance, a guard to ensure no escape. The tent that served as his cell was small, and was primarily held up with a large wooden pole in its center which was what Hank was bound to. His puffy wrists were tied to it, so he could barely move.

I knew not what they were planning to do with him, if anything, but whatever it was, I hoped it was excruciating. He was a pedophile and deserved all the pain in the world, not a clean death. Oh, how I loathed him.

I sat next to Brian while he slept, gently stroking his hair. I examined his wounds, which were becoming enflamed with pus growing out of them. Concerned, I stood to look for the "doctor."

The small Asian woman was finally found. I tapped on her shoulder.

The woman turned to me with inquiring eyes. "Yes?"

"How is he?" I ask bluntly. "Brian's wounds are getting worse."

"Brian? Hmmmm..." Since the woman had so many patients, she has to think for a moment. "Oh, red hair."

I nod. "How is he?"

"Come with. Quickly." The Asian woman motions for me to follow.

Once we arrived at Brian's tent, she elderly 'doctor' laid her hands on Brian's torso. "See here?" She points to his wounds. "Infection. Not good."

"How can we help?" I ask, my lower lip quivering.

"Keep clean," the oriental woman answered. "Wash him often. Not much to do."

"Okay..." I say somberly.

The "doctor" patted my hand. "It okay, child." With that, the oriental woman left to attend other matters.

"What's wrong?" Brian's voice startled me.

"Oh," I say. "You're awake."

"Yeah," Brian yawned.

I held my breath, trying to fight back my tears. "Sleep well?" I couldn't help it. My eyes flooded, and a waterfall cascaded down my cheeks.

"Bailey come here. Sh sh it's okay." Brian did his best to hush me, but I couldn't keep quiet.

I stepped closer to him, my head limp on my shoulders and my black and Purple Hair, which was growing with my blond roots poking through, laid over my face. I couldn't deal with it. I couldn't.

Brian rubbed my back soothingly, despite how much it hurt. He grunted as he struggled to place his hand on me.

"Stop." I looked up at him. "I don't want you to be in pain."

"It hurts more for me not being able to help you. I love you." Brian gave me a sad smile.

"I love you to. I can't lose you." I sobbed softly in my hands.

Brian kept caressing my back. "It's okay, Bailey. It's okay."

"No it isn't!" I screamed. "None of this is okay!" I backed from him. "The only good thing in my life is dying, the others who helped me are probably in jail, my best friend is gone for good, my sweet Skai almost got raped, and we are still here Brian! We can't live a normal life. We would get sucked away in Death Alley if we do!" I fell to my knees, a stream of tears falling to the floor.

"Bailey... Ouch!" Brian tried to stand, crawling out of the bed inch my inch.

"No, no," I said shakily. "Get in bed. No you aren't well."

"You need me. Let me come."

"No!" I screamed. "Get into bed!"

I ran up to him and held his weak arms tightly, preventing him from venturing from his bed any further. "Lye down," I demanded.