S I X T E E N

"Wouldn't it be easier if I were in Portugal, you know, with the package and stuff?" I ask João when we are once again outside, now having a drink on a terrace and discussing the little clue we have discovered.

"I mean, yeah, but international break is soon, so I think you'd have to travel along with your uncle, so maybe we can sort some things out there and meet Isabella, Théo and Alexander again?" he suggests.

"Maybe they know more, or Alexander who's also your neighbour might have seen something strange with the delivery." He reasons and I nod my head. 

When we used to meet, it was always super easy for Alexander to come over to my house, as he has been my neighbour since forever. Which resulted in us sometimes having karaoke nights in the middle of the night. At his house, of course, as his parents were hardly ever home.

João and I have been hanging out together on weekends or days off for fun or to move forward in this investigation. It was very nice and apparently he's also staying tonight for a barbecue with my uncle and some other Chelsea players. Because I heard that my uncle lost a bet against Enzo and now he has to hold a barbecue for the few players who were involved. Of course Enzo caused this, who else would it be?

"What are you thinking about?" He asks, after taking a sip of his drink. "Nothing, just tonight's barbecue" I shake myself out of my thoughts and lean back in my chair. He smirks and adjusts his golden chain in the right place. "Right, kind of funny that your uncle lost again."

"Again?" I ask, curiosity invading my system. I grab my iced tea, swirl it with my straw and take a sip, eagerly awaiting his answer.

"Well, we always have this annual or monthly, I don't know, it just happens, thing with your uncle where we challenge him. And last year he had lost. He had to dress up as a woman and run a few laps around the training ground. We had a real blast." He laughs, remembering the moment and I gasp in surprise. 

That's why I found a bra and a wig hidden in the pantry.

"Oh my God, really?" They must have footage of it. If so, I need it very badly, because it could be very useful as blackmail against my uncle when we argue about who does the dishes. 

"Yeah, you must've been there" He states and again something shifts in the air. Somehow, we always end up having a good time, but then a memory of our past creeps in and spoils the mood. I feel a bit upset, I could've been there, but instead I was avoiding him. I mean, I had my reasons, but still. 

Removing my eyes from the glass I have been staring lifelessly at, I look up and swallow a nervous gulp. His brown eyes gaze intently into mine, his stare unwavering as I stare back. What are we doing? 

In a second his eyes advert to behind me and I turn around to see where João's attention has drifted off to. I see a girl, a really pretty girl and for some reason I feel my confidence slacking. Facing João again I see him slumping deeper into his chair and putting on his sunglasses.

"What's wrong?" I ask, curiosity audible in my voice. I've never seen him so... withdrawn?"

"That's uh" he looks at me, for some reason looking almost regretful and I raise my eyebrows for him to continue. "That's my ex-girlfriend."

Oh.

I sigh and sink a little in my chair. For some other reason my stomach drops and I look back at her entering the same terrace where we're sitting. Obviously João had a girlfriend here in London. I mean, have you seen him?

I'm a tiny bit annoyed that she chose this terrace, because João now feels uncomfortable. But it's not like she knew, at least I hope so, because she made no move to greet him.