Chapter Twelve

Bridger

"So—", Arron starts and I'm already annoyed, "how's the omega?"

Call my annoyance towards him unnecessary or even mean, but sometimes just seeing my alpha's face puts me in a bad mood.

I hum as I place my coffee in front of me. "We have many omegas, Arron, you need to be more specific."

He looks at me but I just raise my eyebrows innocently. We're having our bi-annual meeting with our closest pack northeast of us. Our delta, zetas, and kappas are all here and now we're just waiting for our neighbouring pack to arrive. They're in our pack now, but the walk from the east entrance to the packhouse is pretty long. We're also just really early as I like to be punctual.

"Kian. I've noticed you two have been hanging out a lot," he says nonchalantly but I know that he's hinting at something. I choose to ignore the suggestive underlying tone and just shrug. He doesn't know that I'm attracted solely to men so he shouldn't be suggesting anything inappropriate. Plus, it's just unprofessional. It's especially annoying knowing that they're mates.

"Treating him the way I've treated the others," I answer. "Are you going to continue to ignore his existence like a child or talk about your situation like an adult?"

Arron shifts uncomfortably as he sighs and shakes his head. He hates when I bring up things that he tries to ignore. He loves to avoid problems and for the most part, things usually go his way and the problem disappears and he never has to face it. But for some reason, I'm extra pushy about this particular problem.

He's like a middle schooler who still hasn't learned responsibility and accountability despite those two very things being something his father preached about the day we began training together. Ridiculous.

"Derek is pushing me to either reject him or take him as ours but I'm not feeling up to doing either," he answers casually with a shrug that irritates me even more.

Derek is his wolf and is just as insufferable as Arron just on different spectrums. While Arron is a subjective, lazy, let-someone-else-do-it, arrogant, angry asshole, Derek is an objective, anal, too-detail-oriented, arrogant, perfectionist who micromanages everything and anything he possibly can. I've only met him a handful of times and he's pissed off Jace enough for my wolf to not want to be around him ever again.

'And I stand by that' Jace chimes in. His attitude towards Derek is surprising as Jace has always had more respect and tolerance towards people who I can't respect or tolerate. He has forced me to forgive and forget a lot of Arron's actions all because he is "our alpha" and we "should respect our alpha".

'Just because I respect and tolerate Arron more than you doesn't mean I love him. We don't have to interact with Derek, but we have to interact with Arron every day. I want to keep things civil' Jace says, all high and mighty on his high horse. He snorts and I have to fight back the eye roll.

"So Derek doesn't feel anything for him either?" I ask as a Kappa walks into the meeting room.

Arron hums as he spins around in his chair, head hanging back. "He finds him attractive, he wouldn't mind being with him. He feels the bond more than I do — I mean I don't even feel the blond so — but he said if I were to reject him, it wouldn't do us much damage—"

'Derek also told me he can't feel Kian's wolf' he switches to our private mind-link. I hum and lean back in my chair, not offering up any private information about Kian.

'Anything you know about that?' Arron asks, 'Is he blocking his wolf from me? How can he even do that?'

'Nothing worth noting. Anything you want to know about him, you should ask him yourself. I'm not serving as your messenger between you and your supposed mate'