Part 4

Sebastian climbed the grand staircase and moved through the second-floor corridor. The demon paused at the third door, peering inside.

Ciel had settled himself in the window seat with a stack of paper and a pen. The young demon glanced at the outside world before returning to his pages. Sebastian raised a clawed hand, knocking on the door.

Ciel turned to him, placing the items on the seat next to him.

"Am I interrupting?"Sebastian inquired. Ciel shook his head.

"Not really."He replied as the looming figure entered the room.

"May I join you?" Sebastian requested.

"If you like." The former Earl said, giving Sebastian his full attention. The older demon moved to stand in front of Ciel before lowering himself to the floor.

"What are you writing?" He questioned curiously.

"Nothing important, just keeping busy," Ciel replied. The older demon nodded.

"I see. I was hoping for a moment of your time if you can spare it. There's something I'd like to discuss with you." The former butler said.

"I suppose I'm at a good stopping point. Is everything all right?"

"Everything is fine. I wanted you to know that I received a message earlier today. It's from an old friend I haven't seen in many years. He and his mate have been away and have just returned home. I invited them to spend this evening with us. A mutual friend and his mates will also be joining us." Sebastian explained.

"Mates? You can have more than one?" Ciel questioned.

"Officially, no." Sebastian answered, "You may marry one at a time, but there are no rules regarding how many partners one can bring into a relationship. Larger families also come at a cost. Each demon you add to the group makes it increasingly difficult to meet everyone's needs. You must figure out the feeding schedule. Mates may refuse to participate, thus making meals stressful, and personalities don't mesh well with others. Before you get any ideas, I have no interest in anyone else." Ciel raised an eyebrow.

"Because it's too much for you, or-"

"Because I know what I want, and you're right here," Sebastian replied.

"You'd almost have to say something like that, wouldn't you?" Ciel teased.

"I would never lie to you, Ciel," Sebastian said. "It wouldn't do either of us any good to do so. Use tonight as an opportunity to practice your lessons. It wouldn't hurt to attempt to make a few friends."

"Sebastian-"

"I know you would rather not. I think it would be good for you. As precious as you are to me, and as much as I may try, having been born a demon, I cannot hope to see the world through the eyes of a mortal. I can't relate to many of your experiences, and as I'm all you have here, you may want to connect with others who can offer you what I can't."