1

Ciel Phantomhive glanced around at hissurroundings. The now familiar gothic mansion filled with objectscollected throughout his butler's long life.  The building, which the young demon referred to as The Museum, had become his home shortly after entering Sebastian's world.

Ciel found that he enjoyed hearing the story behind each item. He sighed as he found his way to the sitting room. Sebastian stood in the center of the room, the former Earl's blue jacket draped over his arm.

"There you are, Young Master," The butler greeted. "I was wondering when you'd make an appearance."

"Let's get this over with," Ciel grumbled, allowing Sebastian to place the jacket on him. 

"Is something troubling you, Master? You seem a bit more unhappy today. I thought you'd gotten out of this stage."

"Do you know what today is, Sebastian?"Ciel asked.

"Wednesday, I believe." The butler replied, earning a glare from Ciel.

"You know what I'm talking about." Sebastian frowned.

"Your twentieth birthday." He replied. 

"Yes. You've been with me for a long time now."

"Indeed I have. It's been quite a journey, if I may say so." The older demon knelt and fastened the button. "If I may speak freely, Master?"

"I've told you, you can. It's your home, I'm a visitor here, and I've no right to hold you to that restriction." Ciel said.

"If my long life has taught me anything, it's that time has a way of bringing about changes, my lord. With experience, you learn to grow. I have noticed such improvements in you over the years. You are no longer the frightened, angry, vengeful child you once were. You seem to have settled into this life with little difficulty." Sebastian said in a regretful tone.

"That upsets you?"

It upsets me greatly that I allowed this to become your future. Despite what occurred during your short life as a human, you didn't deserve this. For that, I will never be able to apologize enough." Ciel tilted his head slightly to the side, crossing his arms.

"This isn't like you, Sebastian. What's going on?"

"Despite how you and I met and our past, I have become quite fond of you and enjoy your company. I would have never imagined it possible, but I am glad you're here. Our relationship has also changed a bit in recent years. Have you felt the shift?"

"I suppose it is nice not having to navigate this place alone, even if it is a contractual obligation." Ciel cast his gaze to the floor. "Speaking of our contract, You and I need to talk."

"Yes, I was hoping to have a word with you as well." Sebastian stood, gesturing Ciel toward the armchairs near the fire. Ciel crossed the short distance and sat down, followed closely by his butler.

"If it's all right, I'd like to go first," Ciel suggested.

"Of course, Master. I would have it no other way." The demon replied patiently.

"Honestly, I'm not entirely sure where to begin. I don't often tell you this, but, You've done your job well. As a child, I didn't recognize the many times you've gone beyond your butler responsibilities for me. The moments you tried to guide me to the right thing, The birthday cakes you made for me. Even after I became a demon, you continued to try to make me happy. Thank you for that. All the things I've put you through, I've nothing to offer in return. It hardly seems fair." Ciel explained. Sebastian frowned.

"At home, it was my responsibility to see to the staff's needs. I've not done that for you. It's only right that I release you from our contract and allow you to get on with your life." Ciel continued.

"I understand, Master. You may look like the same Earl, but you have turned into a little adult in some ways, learning to let go being one. Before we make any final decisions, please allow me to make a suggestion." Sebastian leaned forward in his chair.

"It's been some time since I've eaten that much is true. I assure you, you have more to offer than you realize. It would be a shame to part ways for this reason. Might I propose a different type of contract?"

"What sort of contract, exactly?" Ciel questioned with mild interest.

"Well, perhaps you would consider...that is to say," Sebastian paused, searching for the right words.

"If you were to settle down, to look for someone to share life with, let's say. what qualities would you seek out?"

"I haven't thought much about it," Ciel confessed. "I'm a bit confused by the question. What would our contract have to do with-" Ciel felt the warmth rising in his face as he began to blush.

"How do you feel about me, specifically?" The older demon continued.

"I don't particularly mind, I suppose. I'm curious as to the way it works."

"There are many similarities in the way we handle these kinds of partnerships. You and I would dissolve our current contract and enter into a courtship. The end goal being marriage. Unlike your weddings, until death do us part is not relevant here. Should we decide that marriage is right for us, it is eternal. I recommend taking things slow for the time being and getting to know each other in a different capacity. There is still much for you to learn about our ways and traditions. It will require quite a bit of trust between us. With our contract out of the way, is that something you are comfortable with?"

Ciel thought for a moment before replying.

"I've always had the stipulation in our contract that you couldn't lie or betray me. My trust isn't given easily. This is completely mad, you know."Sebastian allowed himself a faint smile.

"Perhaps." He said, rising from his chair. Ciel followed his lead. "Will you give me this chance?" The butler held out his hand toward the young man.

"All right, Sebastian, I'm trusting you." The former earl took the hand, finding himself being pulled into the demon's clutches."Very well then, Ciel. Let our new adventure together begin.