02

My head was pounding when I opened my eyes. To survive the party I had drowned myself in champagne and all I could remember was one of our maids helping me get to my room. I just hoped my parents hadn't seen me drunk, otherwise my migraine would get worse after hearing my mother's yells. 

I looked to my bedside table and saw a glass of water and a pill with a note next to it. "Take it, you can thank me later -Kie". I assumed it was an advil and gulped it without a second thought. I had a vague memory of her helping me in my room but I was too tired to try to conjure up any other memories.

I was still wearing the dress from last night but the flower crown was gone and the shoes were splattered around on the floor. I decided to pick them up and put them in its place - I didn't want to ruin my grandma's antique shoes.

I took a look around the room and found the wooden box they had been in and picked it up from the floor. As soon as I grabbed it, something tingled in the box. I looked inside but the box was empty. I shook it again and heard the same sound as if there was something inside the box, but nothing was there. I put the box on top of my bed and decided to touch the inside. That's when I felt something strange. The bottom of the box was actually a lid to a secret compartment. I removed the piece of wood and I found an old looking key with a little tag that said 'Winston's house'

Winston? I had never heard that name before. And why would my grandma feel the need to hide a house key inside a shoebox? I tucked the key under my matress and put the box together again, leaving just the shoes inside and closed the normal lid. I would have to investigate that later but only after breakfast.

I took off the dress and dropped it to the top of a chair in the corner of my room and decided to put on something a little more comfortable: a random t-shirt and shorts. I climbed down the stairs and heard some of the maids walking around. Our backyard was clear and it seemed like nothing had happened the night before. They had either stayed up until late or woken up very early this morning.

As I stepped into the dining hall, my mother looked at me from her seat, raising her eyes from the newspaper she was reading. 

"It's late, Scarlett. In this house we have proper times to have meals all together"

"Mom, it's summer vacation and I'm tired from my party from yesterday" I gave emphasis to the word 'my' so she wouldn't start her grumpiness right away. 

"Can I get you anything for breakfast, Miss Ambrose?" Brigitte, the housekeeper asked as soon as she entered the room and I only asked for a coffee. She left immediately with quick steps towards the kitchen. My attention returned to my mother when she spoke again

"Speaking of your party, where were you at the end of the night? Rafe wanted to say goodbye and you were nowhere to be found." She raised an eyebrow, suspicious. She hadn't seen me drunk the previous night and I silently thanked Kiara and the maid that had helped me.

"I felt a bit sick and decided to go to bed early" It was not entirely a lie. I felt nauseous after so many flutes of champagne. I didn't even remember if I had thrown up or not

"Sick? Do you want me to call your father to check up on you? I know it wasn't food poisoning because I ordered the best seafood from Heyward." 

"No, I'm feeling alright now. I just had low blood pressure. I was probably just dehydrated and forgot to drink water because I was too busy talking to the guests"

My mom slightly nodded. She was satisfied with the answer since I had mentioned I had been nice to the guests. I didn't even remember who I had talked to.

Brigitte brought me my cup of coffee and I thanked her. This time, it was my turn to break the silence.

"Mom, I have a question about our family." She put the newspaper down and took off her glasses, with a big grin on her face.

"Yes, honey. What do you want to know?" She was delighted every time I mentioned anything related to the Ambroses. Except the question I was about to ask wasn't exactly about our family.

"Did our family know anyone called Winston? Maybe on grandma's side..." Her smile dropped immediately and she quickly picked up the newspaper again, ready to put an end to that conversation.

"There's no one related to the family with that name."

She was clearly lying. But I didn't push the subject. My mother would get upset quickly and I wanted to avoid her bad moods as best as I could. 

I grabbed a piece of bread, spread butter and ate it while finishing my coffee. I ran upstairs again, way too interested in this secret key I now had in my possession. I examined it carefully, turning it in my hand and twisting it before getting startled by my phone ringing. 

"Hey Kie. What's up?"

"I just wanted to check on Miss Champagne and see how you were handling your hangover" I could hear the smug on her voice. 

"I don't have a migraine anymore thanks to the pill you left me. What happened last night? Please tell me that none of my parents saw me drunk!" I lowered my voice in case anyone was walking past my bedroom

"I'm your best friend, I know how to take care of you discreetly and avoid your parents. I called a maid before anyone would notice your sentences weren't making sense anymore and you were starting to laugh a little too loud."

"You're the best. I owe you one"

"And you can repay me tonight. You're coming with me to a Keggel party on the Cut"

"The Cut? If my parents ever found out you were taking me to the Cut, they would forbid me from seeing you again. I'll have to come up with a solid lie" 

"Just tell your parents you're staying at my place for the night" She stated matter of factly.

"Hmm maybe if I ask nicely and remind them how well-behaved I was last night at the party, they'll agree with that idea"

"Well-behaved? If only they knew how I had to hold your hair while you were throwing up before going to bed, you'd never leave the house ever again"

"Was it that bad?"

"It was bad." 

I huffed. "I'll let you know as soon as possible then. Oh and by the way...what am I supposed to wear to those famous Keggel parties? It's the first time I'm going to one." I got up and started checking my closet. I had too many clothes and Kiara didn't give a shit about fashion so I could imagine her rolling her eyes at the other end of the line.

"Remember last night's dress code? Choose the exact opposite!"