If You Love Me, Let Me Sleep

Originally Published on AO3 20 Feb 2020

---

The rhythmic buzzing of her phone against the nightstand is what eventually wakes Charlotte up. Bleary eyed and disoriented she felt around for the device. When she finally disconnected it from the charger and peered at the screen through squinted eyes, she realized that she wasn't awakened by random notifications from apps. Henry had been calling her repeatedly.

Immediately more alert than before, she sits up against her headboard and clears her throat. Hitting the Call Back button she reaches over to the nightstand again and grabs the bottle of water she leaves there every night. She takes a large swig as the phone dials. The line is mid ring when she hears it get picked up.

"Hello?" Henry's gravely tone all but whispers.

Swallowing quickly, Char answers, "Hey Hen is everything okay? I see you called me like 5 times but I was sleeping. Does Ray need us for something?"

"No, Ray doesn't need anything. I was uh...hoping that we could talk."

"Talk? Dude. It's three in the morning" Charlotte responds incredulously after glancing at her alarm clock flashing 3:07 in bright red font.

"I know, I know. It's just that I couldn't sleep and I really need to talk to you."

"Can't this wait until the morning?" Charlotte groans.

"Well as you so elequently informed me. It is the morning."

"Ha ha. Real cute."

"Look, please just humor me."

"OK fine. What'd you wanna talk about?"

"Actually... can we talk in person?"

"Are you serious right now?!" Char whispered shouts.

"I know but I'm kinda...already outside."

"What?" she asks while throwing the covers over her legs and making her way to the window. Pulling back the curtain, she sees a lanky figure that gives her a stilted wave from their spot below the window.

"What are you doing at my house?"

"I told you that I need to talk to you. Can you please just come down?" he asks. She can see him running his hand through his hair from here.

"Fine" Charlotte huffs. "Give me one second" she says as she backs away and hangs up her pear phone.

Looking around her room she locates her fluffy bunny slippers and slips them on. Then she grabs the first warm article of clothing she sees, a hoodie thrown over her desk chair.

Slipping it over her head, she quickly makes her way down the stairs of her home, careful not to make too much noise. She opens the door and sees that Henry has made his way to the swing on her front porch. He is looking down at the hands in his lap. His thumbs are twirling anxious circles around each other.

Closing the door behind her gently, Charlotte walks over and takes a seat on the opposite end of the swing. Folding one leg beneath her, she turns to face her friend inquisitively. She doesn't say anything, she figures that he would start since he was the one that interrupted her slumber after all. As she observes his posture, she can feel the nervous energy radiating from him in waves. She places a gentle hand on his knee, hoping to coax him into speech.

He whips his head up at the touch and takes a quick breath in at the sight before him. Taking in every detail, the first thing he makes note of is her hair. She has it up in a style she once told him was called a pineapple, with a satin scarf tied around the front to protect her edges. He sees her eyes, semi-glazed over from the lack of sleep. He notices the oversized blue hoodie that she is wearing, sleeves so long that they cover her hands. She has the bottom situated over her knees.