Undercover With Danger

Originally Published on AO3 02 Apr 2019

---

"Why do we have to do it?" Henry asked.

"Yeah why can't Hen take Jasper?" I wondered.

"Because Jasper is an idiot!" Ray exclaimed.

"Really Ray?" I deadpanned.

"Okay he isn't dumb he just isn't smart either."

"Huh?" Henry asked chuckling.

"Oh you know what I mean! Charlotte is the smart one, we all know this."

"Facts." I pipe up from next to Henry.

Ray turned to address me "Charlotte you are clever and know how to think on your feet. Henry will need you in order not to completely screw up this case."

I sigh resigned, "True. No offense Hen."

"Uh, full offense Char!" Henry exclaimed.

I simply shrug in response. "So when do we do this thing?"

"Tonight. Schowz is working on hacking in the system right now and putting your aliases on the list."

"Okay so what do we do in the meantime?" I inquired towards Ray.

"You and Henry come up with your backstory and a general game plan for the evening. I'm going to check on Schowz's progress."

"Can do." Henry said as Ray starting walking away.

"Alright Char what are you thinking?"

"Well this mission is reconnaissance only. We need to find out as much information as possible without detection."

"I think our best bet is to pretend to be a couple."

"What? Why?" I wondered nervously.

"Because folks don't pay much attention to people that only have eyes for each other. It's too much work to try and vie for their attention."

"Okay you make a good point. Since we are posing as a couple, what's our story? I was thinking that we keep it simple. We were friends first who realized that we liked each other and now we're dating."

"Boring. What about the romance, the drama? How about we tell people that I met you while you were on a date with another guy. Then I poached you by being my handsome and charming self."

"Number one, that would never happen."

"Hey!"

"Number two, it's easier to stick as close to the truth as possible when lying. Only change details when absolutely necessary."

"Fine. So what's the plan?"

"Alright, since we are just trying to get information this go around I say we follow the lead of the other guests. This is a charity gala so we'll just blend in with the crowd while scoping the place out for any suspicious activity."

"Ok, perfect. You don't think we'll have to dance do you?"

"Yeah definitely, why?"

"Wellll" Henry stated in that high pitched tone that let me know he was about to throw a wrench in our plans.

I sighed despondly, "What's the problem?"

Clearing his throat Henry stated, "I can't dance."

"Didn't you take ballroom classes a few years ago for your Aunt Sarah's wedding?

"Yeah when I was like twelve Char I don't remember any of that!"

"Okay, okay calm your muffins dude."