Chapter 4: Making of Friends

"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light."

-Albert Schweitzer

Lily decided that the best form of action was to take a walk around Milton today. Maybe she would be able to clear her head somewhat. Maybe she would be able to understand what it was she was to do next. As it seemed Margaret had no intentions at the moment to be coming to Milton. A selfish part of Lily hoped that she never wanted to come back and that maybe she would be able to be with Mr. Thornton. But in reality that was far from likely to ever happen.

She walked to the Hill, she found herself able to think here the wind blowing her face, and she felt the calm from the noise of the town below her.

‘I know you, you’re the woman who put S’evens in ‘is place’ she turned standing in front of her was a woman, a little younger than her, but only maybe by a year. She looked at her face and blonde hair; this must be Bessy she thought.

‘I am. I am afraid I don’t know you’

‘I am Bessy Higgins; I work at Marlborough mills’ she smiled.

‘My name is Lily Spacey’ 

‘You have been seen with the Master a few times, there are workers taking bets about how long for him to fall in love with you’

‘That is not going to happen’ Lily blushed.

‘Yeah and I am the Pope’ Bessy smiled.

‘You are a long way if you work at Marlborough Mills’ She inquired.

‘I am meeting my father; he works at one of the other Mills. Not many women would have stood up to someone like Stevens, the only person would have done that would have been the Master’

‘I was not really thinking of my own safety at the time, I know that fire is always a problem in the mills. I don’t like to think that so many people could have lost their place of work and possibly their lives because of the stupidity of a man that could put other people lives in danger’

‘That is a very modern thought you have there, lass’ it was a different voice that made her turn around, it was a man’s she knew instantly it was Nicolas Higgins. If only you knew how modern, she thought to herself. One of her favourite characters was him. She loved the interactions that Higgins and Mr. Thornton would have and how Higgins would be able to make Thornton realise when he was wrong.

‘Father, this is the woman I told you about, Miss Spacey’ Bessy smiled. She looked to Lily looked like in Bessy she had just made her first friend that didn’t involve a Thornton.

‘Well it is a foolish woman who thought that she would be able to talk reasonably to that man’

‘I am sorry Sir’ Lily replied, ‘But don’t think that you know me because of one action that I have done’

‘Come on Father, we should be going’

‘I would like to call on you if I may, where bout’s do you reside?’

‘We have a house behind the Golden Dragon not that you would remember’

‘I will. Would I be able to call maybe next week?’

‘If you wish’ Nicolas replied, he was unsure about this girl.

‘I shall see you next week then’