Chapter 1 - Familiar Face

While I typically swing from building to building, today wasn't the day to create a scene. The train ride to school took an awfully long time, or maybe my perception of travel time is off. Likely the latter. It just so happens my spider uniform got really dirty the last time I wore it which required a great effort on my part to clean it. I'd rather not be reminded of the debris that got it dirty in the first place. While sitting on the train I glanced down at my wrist examining the one part of my uniform I can't remove. It's a frustrating situation being on call with the leaders of the Spider-Society, but then again anomalies can pop up at any time. A seemingly constant concern of the multiverse.

I almost didn't notice the train slowing down for the next stop. I quickly stood and made my way to the sliding doors before they opened. There are many other people, likely other college students, cramming the space around me. I was never that tall, but its fun knowing I'm 10x stronger than any of these taller individuals. I can't help but smile on my way off the train.

When I make my way out of the subway station the crowd around me dissipates, and the university buildings are visible a couple blocks away. With a sigh, I start towards the closest campus buildings when suddenly my spider-senses warn me of a fast-approaching person. Then I hear someone calling to me.

"Y/N! Wait up!" A feminine voice calls out behind me. I'm fairly certain I recognize that voice. I try to ease the automatic tension in my muscles as I turn around.

"Charlie, hey." I greeted as she closed the gap between us with a hug. Her friendly affection always surprises me, mostly because she's unintentionally rough. I laughed awkwardly while she squeezed me tight. "You have classes today too?"

"Well yeah obviously! Probably the same classes as you right?" She released me from the clutch of her arms. We've been in the same program since freshman year. The elective options are very limited in our program, and we've always unintentionally picked the same ones. I took my phone out of my jean pocket to double check my schedule for today.

"Oh yeah I have the class with Mr. Kline in a few minutes, and after that it's the biochem class which doesn't have a professor assigned?" I examined the schedule with confusion.

"What? No way that class doesn't have a prof." Charlie leaned close to look at my phone. "Huh. Guess we'll find out who it is when we get there. Let's go." She linked her arm with mine and started walking fast towards campus. Good thing she did or else we'd be late to our first lecture of the day.

***

Our first lecture with Professor Kline went by very quickly. It's a lecture that is scheduled to be an hour, and all that time was spent showing us videos, explaining class assignments, and the final project. Charlie and I typically sit towards the back of the class so we can quietly talk while the lecture is ongoing. Since we're closer to the back doors it's also easier to leave once the lecture is done.

We left the auditorium and stood out in the large hallway while Charlie examined a PDF map of the school to determine where our next class was. The class with the unknown professor. I didn't really notice how pretty Charlie looked today until now. She's wearing a knee length pleated skirt and long sleeve shirt. Her ankle high booties match the aesthetic and color of her clothes. She's always been fashionable, unlike myself. I always find myself wearing what's most comfortable, and today it just so happened to be loose fitting skater jeans, a tight fitting t-shirt, and sneakers. After a few seconds Charlie looked up from her phone.

"Okay it's in the building next to this one. Let's go!" She exclaimed and led the way to our next class. The building had 4 floors, and sadly the class was all the way at the top. I may be in really good physical condition, but the thought of walking all the way up instead of flying up with a web made me sigh with disappointment.