Chapter 7

Ace's P.O.V

I listened intently to the radio. When the target was hit i jumped in my seat. I listened to Phoenix's voice praying that she and the others would live to see the end of the mission. "Dagger 1's hit." I sat up in my seat. "No." I said quietly. "This is Jaguar requesting permission to help." I said over the radio. "Request denied." Cyclone replied. I slammed my fist down on my thigh. "Shit." "I repeat, Dagger 1 is hit. He's going down." Phoenix says. 

Phoenix. Bob, Payback, and Fanboy arrive back to the carrier. Phoenix see me and runs over to me. "Don't celebrate yet" I said. She see the look in my eyes and says. "Jaguar.. you can't. Don't... please." I looked  down at her. "Maverick might have left me but I won't leave him." She held me close. "Just come back in one piece." "What if i lose an arm?" I replied. She punches me. "Oh shut up and kiss me." Rather than doing so i stare at her. "Never mind bad idea just for-" I cut her off and we lock lips. I'm memorized by the warmth of her lips. I pull away. "We will finish that when i come back." I reply. And get back into the cockpit. I prep for take off. 'Don't worry Mav. I'm coming.' I thought. 

3rd person P.O.V

The Fifth Gen flies right past them canopy to canopy,spinning upwards and diving back down on them.Maverick weaves in hard cuts back n' forth to evade as the Fifth Gen fires bullets in a streak across the ocean.Gunfire finally hits the F-14 as it flies low across the water. Maverick keeps pulling hard right. "Mav, we can't shake him, we can't shake him anymore." Maverick does the only thing he can do and pulls up hard to escape the Fifth Gen, but the Fifth Gen follows.Another missile lock. The sound of doom. "He's got a missile lock, he's got a missile lock, Mav." "I'm sorry Goose." Maverick says. The Fifth Gen's missile appears from its belly.And suddenly the Fifth Gen jet explodes and a F-18 comes through the smoke. Inside the cockpit a recognizable green helmet was seen. And a very cocky grin showed up. 

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, this is your savior speaking. Please fasten your seatbelts, return your tray tables to their upright and locked position and prepare for landing." Jaguar says through the radio. As he pulls along side. "Hey, Jaguar... you look good." "I am good, Rooster. I'm very good." Maverick and Rooster watch as Jaguar's F-18 CIRCLES back, doing a hotshot twirl of the wings, a victory roll. Jaguar's radar begins to beep. "There's another bandit here." He says in worry. Rooster begins to look for it. "It's nowhere." Jaguar realizes it. "Maverick and Rooster. Get back to the carrier now. He's under us. Maverick and Rooster begin to pick up the pace. Jaguar's F-18 flips backwards and fire at the Fifth gen fighter. He dodges. "Use your missiles." Maverick says. "I might have stolen a plane without any." "What?!" He replies angrily. "Cyclone wouldn't let me help you guys so i sort of changed planes and left as soon as possible." "You big idiot" Rooster says clearly agitated. "Yup that's me. Now get back." "I'm not leaving you again" Maverick says. "you already filled your debt old man. Now go." Maverick hesitates but flies onward. The Fifth Gen fighter pulls out a missile on locks on Maverick and Rooster. He fires and the missile flies toward the F-14. "Good knowing you boys." Jaguar says. "Jaguar no!" Maverick yells. Jaguar fires at the Fifth Gen Fighter blowing up the ship but not stopping the missile he flies in front of the missile.
Time slows down. "Jaguar!" Maverick yells looking behind him. The missile smashes into the end of the F-18. It sets fire and Jaguar pulls the ejection handles. They don't budge. "No.." he says scared for once. The F-18 spirals toward the ocean. It crashes into the waves and begins to sink.  As Cyclone and Warlock are leaving the room: "Get Jaguar down first. Maverick may burn the deck." "Sir. It shows that Jaguar's plane seems to be turning around." Hondo says. "What?!" Cyclone says turning to Hondo. "He's facing another plane." "He's a goner." Warlock says.  Hondo emerges on the deck where the crew is awaiting Jaguar's arrival. Emergency crews are standing by. "Change of plans. Jaguar isn't landing but Maverick is. Pull the trip wires and have the barricade stanchions ready." The crew just stared at him. "HE DOESN'T HAVE A GODDAMN TAILHOOK!" Hondo yells. The crew realizes and scrambles. A ballet of precise emergency response. Hundreds of sailors work to remove Trap-Wires and raise Barricade Stanchions,lift up a 15-foot-high nylon barricade, stretching a massive net across the width of the landing deck.The F-14 lands and skids across the deck of the carrier. it catches fire and the others extinguish the fire. 

Ace's P.O.V
'No. I can't go down just like Dad.' The glass in the canopy has broken. I climb out as the ship sinks. I swim to the surface as fast as I can. I gasp for air and try to get my suit off. It weighs me down. I'm able to get the floatable part of the parachute out and i lay on it panting trying to catch my breath. Green dye spills into the ocean. "Please. Come after me." I say quietly looking in the distance where the carrier is. I lie down tired. I soon fell asleep of exhaustion.

Back on deck: "Sir should we send a rescue party to the wreckage of Jaguar's plane?" a man asked Warlock. "Yes send one as soon as possible. Knowing that man it's possible he's still alive." A helicopter scanned the area and spotted him. They took him back to the carrier. When he arrived he was greeted by many pilots. Maverick walked up to him. "You did well out there son. Good job." He gave Jaguar a hug. He was given handshakes and high-fives by many people. He scanned the crowd for Phoenix. He spotted her talking to Rookie. "Rookie!" He yelled Rookie turned and walked to him giving him a bro-hug.

 "Rookie!" He yelled Rookie turned and walked to him giving him a bro-hug

Rookie whispered in his ear. "Go get her man." and walked off. He looked at Phoenix. Her face was unreadable she looked mad. He walked closer and took her hands in his. "Hey, I kept my promise?" He said chuckling. She punched him lightly and pulled him in for a kiss. Rookie whistled and Jaguar gave him the finger from behind. They pulled apart. "You take stupid to the next level." She told him. "And yet i lived to see another day. She glared at him but it soon turned into a smile. She took his arm and led him over to the others to celebrate.