Chapter 1

"Come in" Stinger said. Cougar walked into the room standing upright in front of Stinger who sat at his desk. "What's on your mind?" He asked. "My wife and kid, sir. I almost orphaned him today. I've never even seen him... I was so scared." Stinger looked up. "We've seen this before." He replied "No, sir. I'm holding on too tight. I've lost the edge. I'm sorry sir." Cougar slid his wings across Stinger's desk. He turned and left. Stinger closed his eyes in dismay. Cougar passed Maverick and Goose on his way out. Goose called after him. "Cougar?" Cougar turned and looked back at the two. "Thanks, Maverick." he said before walking away.

~ Time skip 34 years. ~

I traced my finger next to the photo of my father standing next to his F-14 with me in his arms. "Hey Dad. I wish you could see me now. I hope I'd make you proud." I thought. I picked up the photo album and placed it back on the shelf. A CD case fell out and smacked on the floor. 

I picked it up and looked at it. The clear plastic case had a piece of tape on it. It read |Greatest Hits| I opened it and took out the CD. I walked over to the stereo on the bench and opened it. I slipped the disc inside and clicked play. It began playing 'Through the Fire by Larry Greene'.

I smiled when it played. I remember listening to it when i was little. I sighed and waited until the song ended. The front door opened. I turned to see my mother. "Mum!" I said happily. I walked over to hug her. She wrapped her arms around me. "You arrived early!" I said excited. "Yes, the plane left sooner due to a front that was coming in from the north." she replied. "Well I'm glad you're here." I said leading her to the kitchen. I grabbed two glasses of water and handed her one. She saw the silver ring with a blue jewel encrusted in it on my finger. "That's your father's ring isn't it." I looked down at it. "Yeah it is." "He loved flying. He stopped for you. Always remember that." she said placing a hand on mine. "Yeah..." That night i sat on the porch looking through more photos. I came across some from when i was in Top Gun. There weren't many. You might be wondering why? Well I was an asshole back in those days. A complete dickhead. I looked at one of the photos. My date with Phoenix. We hooked up. She saw who i really was and got rid of me. I felt terrible. Barley graduated out of Top Gun if it wasn't for my wing man Rookie.

But I changed. Or so I hoped. My phone buzzed. It was from Rookie. 

-Have you heard the news?-

-No-

-I wont spoil it. But it's good.-

 -I hope so-

I stood up and walked back inside. I went to my room and slept. Early in the morning I headed out. I met up with Rookie and we walked to the Admiral's office. I knocked. "Come in." I entered and stood at attention. "Sir." "Ace 'Jaguar' Cortell" He said looking up at me. "Yes?" "You have been called back-" I interrupted him. "Where to?" He looked at me sternly. "Pack your bags. You're headed back to Top Gun."

Top Gun Anthem begins. 

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. I sort of had to end there. The next chapter should be longer.