Author Spotlight: di_Rossi

This month's spotlighted author is @di_Rossi their story Aftermath

A historical fiction novel about the problems of handicapped veteran reintegration into British society directly after WW1

What sparked the inspiration to write the story?

I don't really remember - it's been too long ago - but I've always been interested in society's treatment of the handicapped and the military's treatment of war veterans. Which, as we all know, has not been exemplary.

Budding authors face countable hindrances, what hindrance(s) did you face the most?

I did a BA in creative writing, so most of my hindrances had to do with the academic programme and the focus/opinions of those who were directing it.

Negative criticism is inevitable, how do you deal with it? And what would you suggest the others do when faced with such?

There's a very good Hungarian proverb: "If one person tells you you're a horse, you can ignore them. If two people tell you you're a horse, look in the mirror. If three people tell you're a horse -- you're a horse." That means, one person's opinion is just one person's opinion, so use your own judgement if you want to listen. But if several people point to the same thing, then take a look and see what you can do there because something really IS wrong. For me, it also matters a lot who the critique is coming from. I only listen to those I know are knowledgeable and can not only point out problems, but also offer fixes that are better than my own.

What according to you sets Military Fiction apart from other genres?

Military Fiction is like historical fiction or tech thrillers. It's the detail work, the research and the understanding of the world of the military that makes or breaks the story. You have to know your stuff.

What do you feel is the biggest myth about writers?

That we're impoverished, drugged out booze-hounds who - due to our immense creative genius - live so excessively, dangerously and squalidly that we don't make it past 40.

Your go to cure for a bad day?

Just get through it. The Universe knows what it's doing.

Any advice for your fellow/new writers?

Never stop learning about the craft of writing and improving your technical ability. Take it from someone who spent 4 years in writing seminars...too many new writers believe their imagination alone is enough to carry them through. It isn't. Writing is a craft that takes practice and a great amount of skill. Natural talent and vision alone aren't enough. Any monkey can pick up a pen and write, but it takes a technically proficient monkey to pick up a pen and write well.

We're delighted to have @di_Rossi as one of our spotlighted authors! Interested to know how you can become one?

Each author in here has been noticed by us for their outstanding book. Keep working on your story and submit your story to our reading lists to get noticed more easily.