Four: Search by Morning

Sherlock had been right about one thing, and that was the tight living space. I had mentioned before that my house was small, but with four adult men and a Time Lord, small was completely redefined and I was rushing to cater to everyone's needs.

I had placed Sherlock and John at the top of the stairs in my parents bedroom, Sherlock took their bed, while John took the stowaway cot the Doctor helped me drag from the attic.

Adjacent to the bottom of the staircase was another short hall that led back to the bathroom and a small guest bedroom. It reminded me of the cubby Harry Potter would go to read his books, only bigger, and that is where I placed the Doctor, though I was uncertain if he would sleep or not. He did mention the musty smell, and mentioned a few ideas to spruce it up. I politely declined.

I had offered my bedroom to Sam and Dean, but they dismissed it even despite my insistence. Dean settled for the couch, while I tried to make a pallet of old blankets and pillows for Sam to sleep on. Before they even began to get comfortable, Dean was rummaging through my cabinets for some sort of alcohol and Sam was chastising him. I didn't mind.

It was nearly midnight by the time Charles and I retired to my bedroom, and I think we were both fully feeling the ache of the day. Usually, Charles waited for me to get into bed before taking his spot at the edge of the bed, but he hopped right to it, emitting an exhausted groan from his jowls. I smiled at him, patting the top of his head. "You did good today, old boy," I said, but he blatantly ignored me, his droopy eyes fully closed.

I sighed, undressing before crawling underneath my turquoise sheets, staring up at the ceiling, staring at the very old glow in the dark stars my father had placed. Before I drifted to sleep, I wondered what his and my mum's reaction would have been to come home to this- their daughter in a houseful of fictional men.

Before I could even process anything else, I drifted into a heavy slumber.

By the time I opened my eyes, which only seemed like a passing second, the sun was barely peeking through my bedroom window. My body was still in the same position it had been, staring at the ceiling and my left arm draped over top of my head. I hadn't moved a muscle, and, it would have appeared, neither had Charles.

Glancing at the alarm clock, I realized it was only seven o'clock, the house still relatively silent except for the waves crashing against the bayside. I rose from my bed, and Charles did not stir even after I opened my bedroom window to let in the salty air.

This was excellent TARDIS searching weather, I thought, an amused smirk tugging at the corner of my lips. Perhaps it would be best if I got a head start, covered some ground. After all, how far could the TARDIS have flown without a pilot.

I fished inside my dressers, changing into a pair of light blue shorts and slipped on a long, white tunic over top. I turned to the mirror, my sun-kissed skin slightly paler than I remembered, as I smoothed out my auburn locks and tied it into a messy bun.

I took one last glance at Charles, who had now rolled onto his side, a paw over his eyes. I suppressed a smile and quietly pulled open my bedroom door.

Across the hall, Sherlock and John, it seemed, at not yet stirred from their slumber either, my parent's bedroom without a sound. I did, however, hear murmuring below and I peered over the bannister to see the Winchesters awake, staring intently at their computer screens. "What the Doctor said is true," Sam started, voice low, confused, "No information what-so-ever... No strange occurrences, not even cases we've taken care of in the past."