𝖾𝗅𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

༄𓆉︎♫︎☀︎︎❦︎☀︎︎♫︎𓆉︎༄

      TU’AHU KNEW HER LITTLE BROTHER VERY WELL. When Lo’ak left the next morning on an ilu, Tu’ahu knew something was up. She had gone down to where Loran and her son were, checking on them both. Loran seemed to be recovering well from the birth, and her baby’s eyes were open, making tiny squawks.

      She fed Loran, who in turn fed her son. Loran trusted Tu’ahu enough to let her pet and even hold her baby. Tu’ahu held the baby ikran gently, stroking his wings, when she spotted a boy with deep blue skin diving into the water, resurfacing enough for Tu’ahu to see his face, proceeding to travel outside the reef on an ilu.

      It was Lo’ak, most likely going to see Payakan. Tu’ahu really didn’t want to get him into trouble, but more so, she didn’t want Lo’ak to get hurt. Tu’ahu placed the baby next to his mother, kissed Loran’s nose, and ran to the village, looking for Neteyam.

      She stll wasn’t talking to either of her brothers, but she and Neteyam would have to suck it up and work together to protect their little brother. Tu’ahu ran into Tsireya first, who shared Tu’ahu’s concerns about Lo’ak. Together they found Neteyam, Rotxo and Aonung.

      “Tu’ahu, what if it’s nothing?” Neteyam asked, walking beside Rotxo.

      “I don’t care if it’s nothing, and he’s not even going to Payakan,” Tu’ahu said as the group walked towards the water. “He went outside the reef, and I’ll get in trouble no matter what he does.” she explained.

      “Besides, he could get attacked by Payakan even if he’s not going to see him.” Rotxo added, seeing the worry etched onto Tsireya’s face.

      Tu’ahu led the group down the dock with Aonung at her side. “Exactly. I’m done taking the heat for the idiot.” she said, diving into the water and mounting an ilu.

      Once everyone was ready, Tu’ahu yipped, and her ilu began moving under the water, moving out beyond the reef. Aonung came up by her side, sending her a reassuring nod under the water. She needed it.

༄𓆉︎♫︎☀︎︎❦︎☀︎︎♫︎𓆉︎༄

      They left their ilus behind and swam the rest of the way. Lo’ak was with Payakan, and Tu’ahu was right. The group hid behind a patch of seaweed underwater, watching Lo’ak interact with the tulkun.

      Payakan opened his mouth widely, and with a moment’s hesitation, Lo’ak swam into his mouth. If it wasn’t more Aonung’s grip on her shoulders, she would’ve swam over to her brother. And then, Payakan closed his mouth around Lo’ak, and both Neteyam and Tu’ahu made a move to swim over. Tsireya, Rotxo and Aonung stopped them.

      Lo’ak emerged a few minutes later, and Tsireya gasped. “They made the bond.” she had told them, before they urged Lo’ak to come back with them to the village.

      If it were up to Tu’ahu, she didn’t know if she would have told Tonowari and Ronal about what happened. Buf if Payakan was so dangerous, she trusted Tsireya’s decision. They walked through the village, following Tonowari into his tent.

      Ronal came in behind them. Tu’ahu stood between Neteyam and Aonung, avoiding the Tsahik’s eyes. “You allowed this,” Ronal spat at her daughter. “You allowed him to bond with the outcast!”

      Tsireya breathed shakily as her father approached her. “Tsireya. You disappoint me, daughter,” Jake and Neytiri came into view as Tonowari turned to Lo’ak. “And you, son of a great warrior, who has been taught better.” he said while Jake and Neytiri settled behind Lo’ak.

      “Payakan saved my life, sir. You don’t know him.” Lo’ak tried to explain.

      “No, Lo’ak.” Tsireya whispered.

      “Sit,” said Tonowari. He and Lo’ak kneeled. Tonowari looked at the other four children. “Sit down!” he demanded. Tu’ahu immediately knelt down, pulling Aonung with her. Tonowari blew sharply into his hands. “Hear my words, boy. In the days of the First Songs, tulkun fought amongst themselves, for territory, and for revenge. But they came to believe that killing, so matter how justified, only brings more killing. So all killing was forbidden. This is the Tulkun Way. Payakan is a killer, so, he is outcast.” Tonowari spoke slowly and strongly.

      “I’m sorry, sir. But you’re wrong.” Lo’ak said.

      Neytiri gasped from behind him. “Lo’ak,” she warned. Her son turned to her. “You speak to Olo’eyktan!”

      Lo’ak turned back around. “I know what I…”

      “That’s enough!” Jake interrupted, and Tu’ahu gasped quietly.

      Lo’ak looked over to his sister, who he was still mad at, and she shook her head. He glanced to Tsireya, and she silently begged him to say nothing further. “I know what I know.” he said, and Ronal snarled at him.

      Jake walked over to Lo’ak, kneeling beside him. “That’s enough.” he said darkly.

      Tu’ahu fought a battle in her mind. She believed her brother, she knew she did. She had to be his big sister, his protector. Tu’ahu knew that keeping him out of their father’s target was worth it. She had just said that she was done taking the blame of her brother, but she could not stand to see his face. She trusted him. So, she spoke strongly.

      “Dad,” she began, Neteyam hitting her arm in warning. She looked down at the ground, avoiding Aonung’s
eyes. “I knew what he was doing. I knew he was bonding with Payakan. I helped him do it. I was sure he was safe.” Tu’ahu looked up to see Jake’s eyes directly on her like lasers, her mother’s too. She wouldn’t look at Lo’ak.

      “You’re tellin’ me that you knew what your brother was doing, and you let him do it? You helped him?” he was on the verge of shouting now.

      Tu’ahu nodded. “I let him go to find Payakan today. I could’ve stopped him. But I didn’t. She told me Payakan was safe” she continued, finally looking at a stunned Lo’ak.

      “Who told you?” Jake shouted.

      Tu’ahu looked directly into her father’s eyes. “Eywa. Eywa told me.” Ronal looked down at the young Tsahik seemingly impressed. She wanted to know more.

      Jake took a deep breath, looking to Tonowari. “I’ll deal with these two.” he pulled Lo’ak up by his arm and reached for Tu’ahu across Neteyam., pulling her up too. He pulled them back to their tent, where he proceeded to scream at the two of them for their reckless behavior. Lo’ak left once Jake sent him away, but Tu’ahu went and sat on the dock outside the tent after getting yelled at an additional time about being responsible and not stupid.

      She knew Aonung wouldn’t come by after witnessing Jake’s rage, so she was alone for the night. Until, that is, Ronal came by. She walked into the tent, passing Tu’ahu. She spoke to Neytiri and Jake, and then re-emerged with Neytiri.

      “Ronal is to teach you more of the ways of Tsahik,” Neytiri said as Tu’ahu stood and greeted Ronal. “Do not disappoint her or your father and I more than you already have.”

      “Come, Tu’ahu. We learn on the beach.” Ronal said, walking down the dock. Tu’ahu followed her quickly, avoiding Neteyam, Kiri and Tuk’s eyes as they passed them. She would talk to them later. If she lived to later after learning with Ronal.

༄𓆉︎♫︎☀︎︎❦︎☀︎︎♫︎𓆉︎༄