Midnight, Tea, And Skull-Lucy

The case that night wasn't too complicated. Easy in and out. I think we broke our record. The owner had said it was a new haunting. When they bought the house a year ago it was swept by Bunchurch. Then suddenly there was a visitor. We stopped in the kitchen to make some tea and when George picked up the kettle, he found it was the source. It looked used so perhaps it was recently purchased at an estate auction. These things happened. Rarely. But not unheard of. Lockwood was pleased because we didn't use any supplies. And we got home before midnight. His only regret was that we didn't double book jobs.

Coming up from the basement after putting away our kit I saw Lockwood sitting at the kitchen table, head in hands. It was a brief moment where I was reminded of how young he was. How young we all were. If I had a dollar for every time an old lady said we shouldn't be staying up late to fight ghosts but sneaking out with friends I'd be able to retire now. His shoulders were slumped, a sharp contract to the stature he showed the press and our clients. He looked small now. Tired. He needed a hug. I just wish I had the courage to walk up and give him one.

Instead I softly closed the basement door behind me and said, "Are you good?"

He looked up at me, brown eyes startled. I had found him unprotected, without the facade. "Of course. Do you need anything? Tea?"

Midnight tea with Lockwood? Please and thank you.

"Sure, why not?" I was casual, I swear.

LOCKWOOD POV:

I was pulling our mugs down from the cupboard when George came in. He was dressed and carrying a knapsack.

"Are you going somewhere?" I asked, somewhat surprised to see him wearing trousers this late at night.

George shrugged. "Maybe." He inched closer to the door.

"Oooh." Lucy grinned from where she sat at the table. "Going to the river?"

"The river?" I was confused.

"Ok fine." George huffed. "Flo and I are going to look at herons. She left a note saying that there was a bunch at the west bridge tonight and if I got back in time to meet with her." Lucy and I grinned at each other and then at him. "Oh shut up." He stomped to the backdoor and then stopped, looking at the mugs in my hands.

"You guys are staying up?" he asked, eyes lighting up.

"For a bit." I began pouring the tea. Avoiding eye contact with Lucy.

George winked at me. I was glad Lucy couldn't see his face. "Looks like we're all going to have a cozy evening."

I smiled coldly. "Goodbye George."

He left and I set the mugs down on the table beside the toast Lucy had prepared. We sat in companionable silence for a moment.

Lucy took a drink and breathed out slowly, eyes closed. I could almost see the stress leaving her body. "I really needed this. Thanks."

I hunched over my mug. "Do you ever find quick cases like tonight to be somewhat of a disappointment."

She glanced up at me through narrowed eyes. "How do you mean?"

"Like you get all ready and you're all pumped and then you don't get to do anything. George finds it in a tea pot before you even get your rapier out."

Lucy chuckled. That's the one thing I regret the most that we lost because of the Problem. Technology. I wish I had camera small enough to have on hand so that I could captures these moments. Her laugh. Her smile. Nothing could be as perfect at this moment.

"You enjoy the thrill of the fights?" she asked, bemused.

"I can't deny it is enjoyable. The challenge is fun. I'll never forget my first case."