Aunt Tildy's Case-George

Lockwood and Lucy went off to dispose of a source. I volunteered to clean up the kitchen. They'd been dancing around each other for the last several months. Who knew such brilliant agents could be such nincompoops at reading body language? Living body language, that is. I was hoping that enough time would be spent alone and they'd either stop liking each other or get it out in the open.

The skull was making unpleasant faces, which was all it could make at me, so I put a dishcloth over the top.

I was thinking about some new experiments I could do on it when the doorbell rang. We weren't expecting a client that I knew of. I pulled my apron off and threw it on the table. Running up the stairs I made it to the door right when the bell rang again. I flung open the door.

-

When Lucy and Lockwood got back I had everything prepared. "We have a case tonight."

"I know," Lockwood said, putting his rapier in the bin. "At Mr. Remington's."

"I switched it, we're gonna do that on Friday." I now had Lockwood's full attention. "Don't be angry but I took a new client."

"Why would I be angry? Is it an interesting case? Do we have enough time to prepare?" He shot the questions quickly and I was almost sorry to burst his bubble.

"It probably won't be that interesting. It's for my aunt."

"Your aunt?"

"She stopped by while you were out. Two days ago she felt a presence and a neighbor kid who has a little sight confirmed that there was something in her upstairs window."

"So she came to us now?"

"No, well kind of. She said the next morning a new agency had left a pamphlet on her door and so she spoke with them. They were going to come tonight but then they put it off. She really doesn't feel comfortable staying with her daughter, she has six kids, and wants to go back home. Aunt Tildy remembered that I worked at an agency and came here. I thought we could get it done pretty easily. I hope you don't mind."

"Of course not, George." Lockwood was lounging on his arm chair now. "One of the perks of this company is we're flexible. We can do this kind of thing for family." He sat relaxed and pulled a magazine up on his knee.

"Thank you, Lockwood. And I'm not sure how much she can pay. She seemed pretty upset so I didn't talk rates." I fiddled with the edge of my shirt nervously. I had a lot of family who thought I was ridiculous as a researcher. That being an agent was just a phase that I would get over. Aunt Tildy had always been supportive. And this was a way that I could thank her.

Lockwood passed a hand over his eyes. I knew that look. We had been a bit strapped lately. "Whatever she can't pay you can take out of my wages," I added. Lockwood waved a hand at me.

"Forget it, George. We can handle it, I'm sure. As long as we charge her for supplies, we'll be fine."

"What about the meeting tonight?" Lucy spoke up for the first time. She still stood at the doorway of the room.

The meeting.

Fittes had called a special gathering of agents. Special carrier this morning. They did it every couple months. "To build morale in the fight against the dark forces," they once said But it was really to show off the Fittes House and make connections. We rarely went. For one, we were usually drowning in cases. For two, Lockwood couldn't stand being put down as an "insignificant" agency by Rottwell and Fittes. But tonight there was rumored to be some sort of demonstration or meeting. A new agency had come to town, and they were making waves. This was definitely about that.

"Are you very keen about going to Fittes?" Lockwood started flipping through his gossip magazine.

"Not very," I admitted. "I want to go visit with my aunt and see if I can learn anything..."

"And then?" Lockwood prompted.

"I was going to check up with Flo."

"Flo?" Lockwood asked frowning.

"Flo." Lucy grinned.

"Yes Flo." I needed an excuse. Dang it.

"About the relic man?" Lockwood shook his head, "I'm not sure we need to spend time on that. It happens all the time." Perfect!

"I just wanted to know if she knew anything. You know with Winkmans' and everything. Maybe Lucy was more of a target that we thought."

It was cruel of me to manipulate Lockwood like this over Lucy but hey, that's what friends are for.

"Great idea, George. Definitely look into that. Ask her if she's heard anything about Lucy at all on the streets."

"Oh I definitely will," I assured him. 

Sorry this chapter is so short! I promise the next will be longer. Let me know what you think so far and if there is any constructive feedback I will be very grateful! #SaveLockwoodAndCo #LockwoodGhostAuditions