Chapter 2: At Kefi's

Chapter two

By the time the taxi stopped in front of Kefi restaurant, Sandra had finished counting all the guys that she encountered in her life; not that there were many to mention. She felt like backing out. She wasn’t so sure if she’s ready to face this mystery guy. What if it’s Matt? After what he did, would she really take him back with open arms?

She paid the taxi driver and walked to the entrance. Her knees weak and her stomach felt like it was turning upside down.

A guy in blue shirt with a huge white print in the middle that said ‘KEFI’ opened the door for her.

“Thanks,” she smiled politely.

As she walked in, she noticed that the place was slightly packed. She can barely see an empty table. There was a wooden bar with a shelf of different wine bottles on the left side. A vast variety of Greek dishes were served and the smell of the place made her instantly hungry. It was a cozy place but it wasn’t really the type that Matt would choose as a dating place.

Sandra looked around to see if she knew any face, if there’s one guy sitting in a table without a partner, or if Matt is anywhere. She spotted a dark haired guy sitting alone in the corner near the window and her heart pounded like it’s going to come out of her chest.

He was looking down, picking on his meat ball like he was all bored. He was wearing eye glasses.

Sandra felt a twinge in her heart. She had a feeling of dismay because this guy isn’t Matt at all. He looked weird but, willing to take her chances, she took a step forward.

“Can I help you?” A waiter asked.

“I…”

Before Sandra could say another word, she noticed a girl in a pink dress walked over to the meat ball guy. The girl kissed him on the cheek and sat on the chair across him. So it wasn’t the guy, she thought in slight relief.

“I ahm…I missed my date,” Sandra said. She couldn’t think of anything else to say.

“Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that”

“It’s okay.” She let out a breezy laugh that she faked so well. “I’ll be going now.”

Sandra walked out the restaurant feeling like a fool. She just wasted her time. The mystery caller can be anyone who just dialed her number for the wrong reasons; it could have been a lost call. Maybe he was trying to call someone else and unfortunately got the wrong number – her number. She felt so disappointed it didn’t turn out the way she imagined it; that it wasn’t the way how she daydreamed, that it wasn’t Matt.

She stopped by the shed to wait for a taxi.

“And you ditched me just like that.” That mystery voice again.

Sandra quickly turned to look at the guy who just jumped in beside her. To describe him as cute would be an understatement; Tall, dark hair, deep set chestnut brown eyes and an expensive looking leather jacket.

He smiled at her comically.

And he has a dimple on his right cheek.

He’s gorgeous and all but Sandra didn’t know him. She was sure she hadn’t met him somewhere before, if she did she would have fallen in love with him instantly – that if she met him before Matt. But the question is, who is he?

“You really came in prepared” he said as he looked at her from head to toe.” Red medium sized t-shirt, brown Chuck Taylor, sling bag; you didn’t think that would scare me off, did you?”

He smirked.

 “Excuse me?” Sandra looked at him dubiously.

“I was expecting you to wear something boring like a plain white dress but…” he laughed.

Now he doesn’t seem so cute. He’s starting to annoy her. He was a complete stranger and he’s ragging on her clothes just like all the good-looking jerks in high school.

“I think you’ve mistaken me for someone else,” Sandra said and waived for a taxi but the taxi just went past her.

“Are you kidding me? You’re attire doesn’t really work as a good disguise but I have to admit, you look awkwardly cute.”

That’s it! , she turned back to him with a sharp look.

“Look! Aside from the fact that you’re inappropriately friendly and rude, I don’t want to talk to you any longer because I don’t know you!” Sandra walked away hurriedly. She just wanted to get away from him.

“So were you really that drunk??” he asked loudly.

Sandra stopped. What is he talking about this time?

“Sandra Parker?”

“How did you know my name?” she asked looking at him skeptically.

“I Googled it,” he said in a sarcastic tone. He stared at her and saw how clueless she looked. “I can’t believe you don’t remember me after that kiss.”

Sandra grew even more confused and anxious of what’s happening and everything that he’s talking about.

“What kiss??”

He sighed and raised his hands like he just gave up.

”Fine let me tell you the whole story,” he said. “Once upon a time – that was a week ago -  there was this drunk damsel in distress -  that was you - who met a handsome prince – of course that’s me – at the Imperial Club and they didn’t live happily ever after because the damsel can’t remember a damn thing. Ring a bell?”

“The Imperial Club,” she sighed. The night Matt broke up with her. The night she didn’t want to remember. But how could she be kissing him without her remembering at thing? This guy might be making it all up just to hook her but…he sure did know her name.

“I don’t trust you,” she looked at him suspiciously.

“After all that kissing I think you did,” he said as-a-matter-of-factly.

“Could you stop saying that we kissed!” she suddenly flared in annoyance.

“Okey, we smooched,” he smiled at her mischievously.

“You know what? I don’t care what else you have to say ‘cause I won’t believe you any way so save it! I’m not the type who hooks up with any guy I just met in a club and if by any chance I did hook up with you then let me consider it the greatest regret of my life…bye!” Sandra blurted. She couldn’t take the conversation anymore.

“Hey!” he called

Don’t turn around, don’t turn around, she kept saying to herself as she walked away.

“You left your necklace in my apartment. Call me if you need it,” he shouted.

Sandra walked right on because she knew it was another trick to get her to stop. He’s a stranger, crazy and a liar. She never kissed any random guy in her life; he’s making it all up. Whoever he is, she definitely didn’t want to see him again.