chapter 2 | and then there was light

After finding out what happened to Bryan Emanuel, my mind just went blank. Next thing I knew, I was putting on my black dress and grabbing my things. Sa sobrang pagkabalisa, ni hindi ko na nagawang sagutin si Papa nang magtanong siya kung saan ako pupunta. Basta na lang ako umalis at dumiretso sa bus terminal.

I was overcome with so much guilt that I found myself crying as I sat inside the bus, on the way back to the city I promised never to return to.

Madilim na ang kalangitan nang makarating ako sa tahanan ng mga Emanuel. Hindi ako nahirapan dahil binigay sa akin ni Diamond ang address, at alam agad ng mga tricycle driver ang ibig kong sabihin nang magtanong-tanong ako.

I kept my head low as I walked through the gate. Scared that people would recognize me, I quickened my pace but I ended up bumping into a girl.

"I'm so sorry!" My voice trembled a bit as I bowed over and over again.

Before I could even walk away, the girl suddenly grabbed my arm and gasped, "Marika?!"

It felt like everyone's eyes were suddenly on me. Just imagining the stares and whispers–it became hard for me to breathe.

"S-sorry..." I bowed again and continued to walk, but the girl blocked my way and raised both of her arms sideward.

"Marika, sorry pero bawal ka raw rito. Bilin ni Tree na 'wag na 'wag kang papapasukin," sabi pa niya.

Tree. Just hearing her name scared me to the core. However, no matter how scared I was of her, I was more determined to see Braylee and apologize for all the shit I put her through.

"P-please, kahit ilang minuto lang? Gusto ko lang talagang makausap si Braylee." It took everything in me not to cry my eyes out as I pleaded. "Alam kong huli na ang lahat, pero gusto ko pa rin siyang makausap. Gusto kong humingi ng tawad sa lahat ng ginawa ko."

***

My lips trembled as I walked toward the large portrait of Bryan Emanuel. The blue and white flowers around it were as beautiful as the smile on his face. I used to envy Braylee so much for having a brother like him. The way he always fetched her after class, came to our classroom to poke fun of her every time she had to report in front of everyone, cheered for her during presentations, helped her excel in every project, and even put little snacks on her food tray whenever they came across each other at the cafeteria.

I could only bow my head and silently apologize for the hell I put his sister through.

"Hey."

Nag-angat ako ng tingin nang biglang may lumapit sa akin. It was Ate Tree, Bryan Emanuel's girlfriend.

"A-Ate Tree..." I was too much of a coward to look her in the eyes.

Bigla niya akong hinawakan sa braso at hinila. Alam ko ang bigat ng kasalanan ko kaya naman sumunod lamang ako sa kanya hanggang sa makarating kami sa kusina, malayo sa mga mata at tainga ng lahat.