Chapter 05. Shrishti's Birthday Party

'Happy Birthday to you...... Happy Birthday to you...... Happy Birthday to dear Shrishti...... Happy Birthday to you.....', the crowd sang as Shrishti stood at the top of the stairs that led down to the ballroom, that her father had specifically rented for her eighteenth birthday. Shrishti grinned at the crowd and gently got down the stairs. Just as she reached the end of the stairs, her father came over and lent her his hand. Her smile widened even more as she happily placed her hand in his.

People began to approach Shrishti and wished her and Shrishti could not help but smile. She may have had lived in another future and be bogged down by the memories of those times but right now, surrounded by people wishing her happily, she felt lighter and burden free. For a while, the pain from those memories was pushed away and she was able to breathe without remembering the bad things of her past life.

Shrishti's father led her to her birthday cake and she cut it amidst a loud cheer. It was the same cake as the last time; three tiered Vanilla cake with white and bright blue icing over it. It even had figurine on the top made out of fondant that looked like Shrishti dressed in blue. Shrishti grinned as she looked at the cake topper. The blue of the figure's dress matched her blue outfit perfectly. This must be the work of her Chachi. Only she was this bit of perfectionist. Say what you want about Chachi's greedy nature and selfishness, other than that one flaw, her Kala Chachi was pretty amazing person. Shrishti pushed her old memories of Kala Chachi and focused on the present. Her relatives were not be blamed for her situation. Half of the problems in her past life were created by her naivete and sheltered life style. She swore this time would be different.

People came and gave her gifts and Shrishti happily received them. Her own family gifted her at the same time. So many people gave her gifts that it was all a blur for her. Once it was done, her father directed the staff of the hall to take the gifts to their family cars.

Just then, Shrishti felt a small body slam into her. The force was mild and did not affect her at all. But that did not stop her Dadi from shouting, 'What are you doing? Can't you see our Pari standing here? What if she had fallen? Its her birthday and you are ruining it like this!'

Her Pappa came and spoke up, 'Enough Ma. Its just a small child.'

Shrishti finally looked down and was surprised to see a twelve year old child standing beside her staring at the cake topper. The scolding had brought tears to the child's eyes but those eyes remained trained on the cake topper. Shrishti wanted to chuckle at the obvious love for the figurine in those eyes. It was clear that the child had no plans to bump into her and just wandered closer to look at the figurine.

By now, her Pappa had managed to calm her Dadi and had taken her away to get her some water. Shrishti raised her hand to touch the child, when a voice broke through her thoughts.

'I am sorry.'

Shrishti froze before looking up, right into the eyes of twenty year old Raghav. For a second, the Raghav in front of her wavered and changed into twenty seven year old Raghav, dressed in three piece black suit staring at her intensely as she screamed at him that she refused to marry him. She blinked and the vision dispersed. This Raghav in front of her wore buttoned and collared shirt and ironed trousers, a formal wear that looked out of sorts amongst the youngsters in the party. But then, when had Raghav acted like rest of the youngsters?

'I am sorry.', Raghav repeated again, his expression blank, his hand trying to grab the child by her arm. Shrishti instinctively put her arm around the child's shoulders.

Raghav blinked at her gesture but looked down and looked at the child keenly, 'Megha. Lets go.'

Shrishti took in a sharp breath. This was Megha. She had forgotten about her totally. Megha was Raghav's baby sister. From what she remembered, the kid had died in some kind of accident when she was fourteen. Right now, she was twelve, if Shrishti remembered right. Two years! This child has two years, Shrishti felt horror in her heart.