𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱

Chapter 6 - Voluntary

Minerva found herself reluctantly trudging toward the infirmary, only this time she was cursing Albus' name under her breath. He'd apparently left Hogwarts, without even informing her of that fact, leaving Minerva to deal with the situation she currently found herself in. Albus might have been able to talk the Minister of Magic out of visiting Potter in the infirmary but she didn't bother trying. The fact that he'd turned up at Hogwarts with an entourage, including a reporter and a photographer, saw Minerva not wasting her breath trying to dissuade Cornelius from his clearly focused goal here.

Harry Potter was on the front page of a newspaper today, and Fudge was obviously planning on the same thing happening tomorrow - with of course himself standing right next to the lad. Potter may have had some input into the words appearing below his picture today, but the inclusion of Rita Skeeter meant that wouldn't be happening tomorrow. The article would say whatever she, and Fudge, wanted it to, no matter what was said by Potter - or anyone else.

Also like today's front page, the picture would lend credence to whatever words that followed. She couldn't help but feel Mr Potter was about to be right royally shafted yet, when she examined her feelings, Minerva found she didn't really care. That thought was her first warning bell as the group entered Poppy Pomfrey's domain.

-oOoOo-

A lot of the time, the piles of books in front of Harry and Hermione were there for mere cover. They were slowly working their way through Tom Riddle's memories, being disgusted and astonished in almost equal measures.

'Riddle had the ability to do so much good in this world, yet he wasted all that potential on his ruthless obsession to seek power for himself.'

'Harry, there was simply no good in Riddle. We've seen the memories, not once did he ever consider any other option. Even when he sought out his uncle in Little Hangelton, it was to increase his own power base. Seeing that his Uncle Morfin would be a liability in his plans to woo the pure-bloods, and his father's origins becoming known an absolute disaster, he didn't hesitate to take care of the entire problem. He was only seventeen yet murdered his unknown father and grandparents, before framing his uncle for the crime. He effectively wiped out all of his family in one go, simply because they could handicap those carefully laid plans for his future. I know you're worried about using this knowledge but you will never be Tom. There is so much good in you, that simply couldn't possibly ever happen. You see opportunities to do good everywhere, Tom didn't even look - far less consider that an option.'

Leaning over, he gave his betrothed a gentle kiss. 'Voldemort made anchors for his soul out of inanimate objects, I simply gave mine to you to look after for me. Hermione, you are my anchor - now and forever.'

'That's a task I'm more than happy to accept. I even like the timeframe, forever with you sounds wonderful.'

They didn't get to seal the deal in what was becoming their usual manner - SWALK - before being interrupted. McGonagall was back, bringing friends.

There were no introductions offered for the five people accompanying her though, to be fair to McGonagall, the blonde witch wearing far too much make-up showed her brass neck by simply taking over.

"Hello, I'm Rita Skeeter! I write for the Daily Prophet. But, of course, you know that, don't you? It's you we don't know. You're the juicy news. What lurks beneath Hogwarts inside the fabled Chamber of Secrets. You'll take us down there, won't you..."

Rita was startled out of her carefully prepared introduction when her acid-green Quick-Quotes Quill, which had been furiously scribbling away on a floating notepad - clearly writing far more words than Ria was uttering - burst into flames. That this also set fire to the notebook didn't seem to bother anyone. As the items took only a couple of seconds to become fine ash -before then disappearing - all eyes were now locked on Harry.