𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

Chapter 1 - Meet the Parents

"Listen to me, Harry. It is too late, you understand me? You must see that Professor Snape's version of events is far more convincing than yours."

"He hates Sirius," Hermione said desperately. "All because of some "stupid trick Sirius played on him —"

"Sirius has not acted like an innocent man. The attack on the Fat Lady — entering Gryffindor Tower with a knife — without Pettigrew, alive or dead, we have no chance of overturning Sirius's sentence."

"But you believe us."

"Yes, I do," said Dumbledore quietly. "But I have no power to make other men see the truth, or to overrule the Minister of Magic. ..."

Harry stared up into the grave face and felt as though the ground beneath him were falling sharply away. He had grown used to the idea that Dumbledore could solve anything. He had expected Dumbledore to pull some amazing solution out of the air. But no ... their last hope was gone.

"What we need," said Dumbledore slowly, and his light blue eyes moved from Harry to Hermione, "is more time."

"But —" Hermione began. And then her eyes became very round. "OH!"

"Now, pay attention," said Dumbledore, speaking very low, and very clearly. "Sirius is locked in Professor Flitwick's office on the seventh floor. Thirteenth window from the right of the West Tower. If all goes well, you will be able to save more than one innocent life tonight. But remember this, both of you: you must not be seen. Miss Granger, you know the law — you know what is at stake. ... You — must — not — be — seen."

Harry didn't have a clue what was going on. Dumbledore had turned on his heel and looked back as he reached the door. "I am going to lock you in. It is —" he consulted his watch, "five minutes to midnight. Miss Granger, three turns should do it. Good luck."

(Excerpt From Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)

Thus had begun what was without doubt the strangest night of Harry Potter's life. With some of the weird shit he'd been involved in the last few years, that was really saying something. He and Hermione had managed to rescue Buckbeak, after traveling three hours back in time. Harry shook his head, even thinking about time travel hurt his brain. What was the point of knowing what was about to happen if you couldn't do anything to change it? Hermione was adamant though, they couldn't interfere with something they knew had already happened, and she was usually right about these kind of things.

His time travelling partner was currently in Hagrid's hut, staying out of sight while keeping an eye on a certain hippogriff. Harry had used the excuse of them needing to know what was going on, in order to organise and coordinate Sirius' rescue properly, to leave the hut and head for the lake.

He needed to know who had cast that patronus, especially if there was the slightest chance it could have been his father. Watching from behind a bush as the dementors overwhelmed Sirius, Hermione and the other him across the lake was hard to take. As a dementor lowered its hood in preparation of administering a soul sucking kiss to that version of himself, Harry thought this mystery caster was cutting it really fine.

Harry actually staggered back a few steps as it felt like something had snapped inside his head. A safe pair of arms were soon comforting him, though also urging her son to take action.

"You have to cast your patronus charm now, Harry. I know you can do it, you already have, I'm so proud of my boy."

That was a voice he knew well. His mother's physical contact and encouragement saw such a surge of positive energy coursing through his body, Harry was certain he would get it this time. Casting the charm resulting in a massive silver stag shooting across the lake and scattering dementors like they were no more than dry leaves in a strong wind.