• CHAPTER 25 •

"I am telling you, Joe. It wasn't just one time. I heard it more than once." I huffed as I let my body get comfortable on the couch.

"I am pretty sure it is all in your head, you know. Because your last time here was very traumatic. Nothing is broken, not even the door." He waved at the door. I let my head fall on the couch and closed my eyes. I knew that I wasn't imagining but I didn't have energy to prove my sanity. I felt the couch sink next to me so I opened my eyes and looked at him. "Don't worry. I am sure it is nothing." He tilted his head and gave me a warm smile. I wanted to open the subject we were talking about last time but I felt like neither he or I would like to talk about it at that moment.

"Joe," I called.

"Hm?" He hummed.

"Can you sleep with me tonight?" I asked. He looked at me and didn't answer so I added, "you can sleep in my room, I will sleep in dad's."

"I have a better idea," he started, "why don't you come back with me? You know, no one can touch you as long as you are with us."

"No Joe I don't want to go back there. I want to stay away from Ace."

"Okay, okay. We can go back to my apartment."

As soon as I stepped in, I felt coziness I didn't feel for months

As soon as I stepped in, I felt coziness I didn't feel for months. The apartment was small and full of furniture. It was full of long windows making the lights of the city light the dark living room. When he opened the lights I saw a picture of a perfect family of a dad, a mom and two kids.

He placed the bags he had on the kitchen counter and approached me. The kitchen was right in front of the door and opened to the living room.

"The stuff we bought are right here, you can take whatever you want."

He said as I walked closer and held one of the pictures on the table. I recognized Joe and guessed that the little next to him was Yuna, his sister he once told me about.

"Let's show you where you will sleep," he placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a small smile. I knew then that being in this house was bringing him memories he didn't want to remember. So I kept all the questions to myself. I placed the picture back in its place and followed him to the room. When I walked in, I knew that the room we were in is Yuna's. I saw a guitar on its display and posters of singers and artists showing me how in love she was with music.

I turned to face him as he scanned the room just like I was, wondering if Yuna still lived in this apartment or not.

"Don't worry, I live here alone."

I raised my eyebrows, unsure of why he said that or how he knew that this was my question but again, I stayed silent.

"Thank you, Joe."

He smiled. "If you need anything I will be in the room right next to yours."

I nodded and let my body sink in the mattress. As soon as my body found comfort, my brain bursted a load of uncontrollable thoughts. I was thinking about Yuna and how can two sibiling let something break their bond. I was thinking about what was happening back at the house and what are they saying about me leaving with Joe, with Joe not coming back. And most importantly, I was thinking of Ace. Was he thinking of me? Did he care I left? The last conversation kept replaying over and over again in my mind. Does he really not love me? I thought. But I felt it. I felt it in his eyes when he looks at me, in his breath that hitches when he's close to me, in the care he gives me. I stared at the ceiling and started thinking about how far in hell I've gotten myself into.