Chapter 1

Raven

"Long live the King," a man yelled.

"Soi-Ji!"

The crowd chanted.

Raven and Soi stared at each other. She squeezed her eyes tight to fight back tears. To fight back the stinging pain of betrayal. His warm hand cupped her cheek and tilted her face up.

"Look at me," Soi-Ji said.

The crowd almost drowned out his voice. Raven's eyes slowly opened. He had a soft expression that made her blood boil.

"It's not exactly what you wanted, but the most important part was done."

"It's not what we agreed on," Raven said.

"None of us agreed on anything. You dictated and demanded," Soi-Ji said.

"How is it any different from how the four of you have done in the past," she pressed.

"We'll discuss this later," he said.

"I've said everything I needed," Raven said.

She pulled his hand away.

"I'm going to check on the twins," she said.

As she tried to descend the stairs, Soi-Ji grabbed her hand. His expression hardened, and his grip tightened. Fear rolled off of him like droplets on a glass.

"When I leave you, I won't disappear in the night like a thief. I will tell you to your face, then walk through the front gate with our children," Raven said.

"Am I dead in that fantasy? Cause that's the only way that will happen," Soi-Ji said.

"You're already dead to me. Killing you wouldn't make a difference," Raven said.

His eyes went wide as he let her hand go. She did a small curtsy.

"Long live the King."

She could feel his eyes on her as she left. Raven glanced out to the crowd. Arenk, Dhol, and Laro were just as somber.

"I need a few teams to help with clean up and a few to sweep the city to ensure there are no stragglers. Be on the lookout. There are beasts and experimental soldiers on the loose. Capture alive if you can," Soi-Ji said. "We'll celebrate after the work is done."

Zolix held the door but fell into step with her and a few guards. She stopped and bore into his eyes.

"What," she said.

"Ten is in the medic bay, and those things are still running around. We're here to protect you. The King wants you to—"

"I'm going to check on my children," Raven said.

"With everything that's happened, you should get checked out. You're not in control of your—abilities right now. I'll send someone up, and you can do a video call with them," Zolix whispered.

Raven's body swirled between fire and ice. She didn't want to hurt them. Her head began to feel light, and blood dripped down her hand. It was turning into an inky color. Raven's body swayed slightly, and Zolix placed pressure on her arm.

"You lost a lot of blood and expended a lot of energy. You're carrying another that you must care for," Zolix said with concern.

Raven snatched her arm, almost pulling him. She went to the elevator, and her fingers froze over the buttons. Everything was crashing and closing in around her.

"I just want to see them with my own eyes. I won't touch them. Then we can go and see the doctor. Press the button," Raven said.

Zolix and the others hopped on. The thing was too slow for her taste. As she entered the suite, Caly and Nor came rushing out. Caly's expression went from shock then to relief. She called for her guards.